help - cactus flower

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
gun4me

help - cactus flower

Post by gun4me »

Hi all,
I just bought a cactus wif flower buds from a nursery 1 week ago.
After i brought it home, i left it under full sun.
i had watered on the cactus.
but i think i have killed some of the buds by the water or by the sun.
Now i think im left with 1 or 2 flower buds.

So im here to ask if there's anything i did wrongly and how do we actually make them flower again?
i've heard about hibernation of our cactus in singapore, because singapore do not have extreme temperatures like europe countries.
I would like to ask if anyone know about this?
How is it being done? can anyone teach me?

Thanks and regards
gun4me
peterb

Post by peterb »

Hi- I think it depends on the species. Sometimes when we purchase a plant with flower buds and bring it home to different conditions (light and heat especially) the buds stop forming and abort.

peterb
Zone 9
hegar

Post by hegar »

Hello gun4me,
as peterb already stated, cacti abort their blossoms for a variety of reasons. It does depend on the genus of the cactus to a great extent. If, for example, you place a cactus that prefers filtered light into bright sunlight the plant will become stressed and most likely will drop the developing flower buds, in addition to getting sunburned (bleached). Supplying too little or too much water will probably also lead to the same reaction, as will very cold temperatures. The best way to go would be, to notice how the plants are being grown in the nursery and to try to duplicate it.

Harald
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

I would guess the change in lighting is the most likely suspect although other things might also be a factor.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
iann

Post by iann »

Very possibly the flower had given up before you even bought the plant. It has probably been grown in a nice warm shed in Canada, fed, watered, and sprayed with everything going, until it decides life is good and it should flower. Then it was loaded up in a crate for the long journey south, stuck under a bench in Home Depot, and watered or not as the staff see fit. Another few weeks and the whole plant would have been dead.

Starting here, treat it nice and you will get more flowers all in good time :)
--ian
hob

Post by hob »

long way from canada to singapore iann :wink:
incurable cactoholic
growing rebutia's with a mix of others.
Buck Hemenway

Post by Buck Hemenway »

hob wrote:long way from canada to singapore iann :wink:
Not so far when you consider that I saw cacti in Hong Kong that were purchased from wholesalers in Holland that had been raised in California. More likely than not those Canadian plants came from the same growers in Vista, CA.
Buck Hemenway