Advice on Astrophytum caput-medusae

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
SpikyMike

Advice on Astrophytum caput-medusae

Post by SpikyMike »

I have recently purchased my first capital-medusae. Unfortunately it has hardly any roots. No sign of rot but v small root system.

Do you have any advice about nurturing roots again? I’ve re-potted. Was planning on keeping dry all winter. Then starting watering in Spring. Or do you think I should do some gentle watering over the winter? (Will be keeping warm, indoors - v bright south-facing window - no lower than 15’c). In UK.

Thanks!

Mike
esp_imaging

Re: Advice on Astrophytum caput-medusae

Post by esp_imaging »

I have heard these don't like to be too dry over winter.
So 15 deg C and no watering could be heading for a shrivelled corpse by spring - this is quite a high temperature, even tropical species can be rested through winter at lower temps.
Maybe try a little cooler and still some water?

I see you've also posted for advice elsewhere, I expect you'll get good first hand info "over there".
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti
SpikyMike

Post by SpikyMike »

Thanks! Yep. Seeking advice from friends and experts on both sides of the pond! 😀
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

I had one on a graft (on Ferocactus glaucescens, the Continentals seem to like to graft it on) it grew for a few years and flowered, but eventually dried up on the graft. They are weird things, they only seem to have an areole on the end of the tubercle but can seem to suddenly produce an areole and a flower anywhere from half way up the tubercle where no obvious areole existed before. You can see one bud on the end of the tubercle and two others some way down from the tips. Sorry not a brilliant picture.

Digitostigma2.jpg
Digitostigma2.jpg (58.03 KiB) Viewed 2563 times

I now have two seedlings I raised earlier this year so I'll see if they come through the winter OK.

Cultural instructions in this link which also explains why mine dried up in summer through lack of water for the graft.

http://www.cactus-art.biz/schede/ASTROP ... edusae.htm