Lenore's Challenge 2018

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
Dawnstar75

Lenore's Challenge 2018

Post by Dawnstar75 »

HELLO! My name is Lenore Dawnstar and I am in Roswell New Mexico. This thread will document my personal journey as I force myself to explore the world of cactus and succulents.I appreciate the space to document this challenge of mine. I am a Chaves County Master Gardener and have been enjoying plants all of my life yet I never paid any attention to cactus I guess since they are everywhere here in N.M. Well, as of the 6th of October of 2018 I am now monetarily invested and am in need of rapid knowledge from expert greenies. I bought a lot of different genus of cacti and succulents and a grow light (which i have never experienced LED!) blindly I grabbed everything that looked cool and now im crash coursing in the specs and needs. OK check this out My sweet heart bought me my first "moon cactus Gymno blah mahoniiblahblahblah fredrichiii "rubra" and i am now crash coursing also about grafting!!! IM DROWNING in information....so yesterday i was standing in front of my humble plot basking in this full spec light and im frozen like a deer freaked because a couple leaf props rotted. SO i got up this morning and twisted off one of the red quarter sized babies so now its callousing??? ITS...I....Ohhhh did I jump into the deep end. I have a small window to figure this out. At the same time i am learning how to drive this lifeboat forum thing. This is fun! okay i have to relearn how to edit pics and stuff. I am not going to panic. all help is much appreciated. L
cosmotoad

Re: Lenore's Challenge 2018

Post by cosmotoad »

Hi Lenore, it sounds like you're experiencing what a lot of us have in the early stages of cactus/succulent cultivation. I've been advised to not get too ahead of myself and keep a manageable amount of plants/seedlings but I don't always follow that rule. Right now I've got probably just as much as I can handle, but there's more seeds and a few plants on the way in the mail. Oh well, I'll make it work. I also invested in a bunch of LED light panels this year and they're working nicely for me, especially for the seedlings. Since you're a master gardener (what are some of your favourite things to grow? soon it will be cacti but I'm just curious if you specialize in any specific kinds of plant) I'm sure you'll figure things out quickly, most of the time it isn't too difficult. You'll run into some problems like rot, weird colours and spots, insects, etc. but the people here will be glad to help you out (there's a lot of real experts here, but I'll do my best with my limited knowledge). Don't Panic (great advice from the cover of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy), things will go well if you do your research. You're lucky to be in NM, a lot of growers here live in places that cacti would rather not be, so you've got an advantage there.

If you've got any questions please ask, good luck to you with your cactus cultivation journey :)
hegar

Post by hegar »

Hello Lenore,
I do not have any cacti in my collection which have been grafted, but I should have the capability and knowledge to do this, if the need would arise.
I assume, that you do not have any garden space to grow cacti outdoors in the ground, because you did purchase grow lights and pots after all.
As a beginner, I would suggest you start with some plants that are easy to cultivate. The genus Echinocereus does have many species, which can be successfully grown in the ground or in pots. Another plant that is easy to grow is Gymnocalycium baldianum. Some Echinopsis spp. also should do well in pot culture.
Before joining this forum, you most likely will already have read, that overwatering desert cacti results in the plants developing root rot, which can be caused by either bacteria or fungi. You can choose between desert cacti and "jungle cacti", the latter being less sensitive to water and also to organic matter in the growing medium.
You are correct with your assessment, that there is an awful lot to learn, when trying ones hand at growing these plants. However, because you do live in "cactus country", you most likely already do have a pretty good idea about the growing requirements of cacti.
One thing I want you to keep in mind: Sometimes one of these plants will die, even if you did try your best to keep it alive. So, do not get discouraged or overly upset about an occasional loss. I have been trying to grow many kinds of cacti for the last 20 years, and I still manage to send some of them to "cacti heaven" almost every year.

Harald
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Gymnocalycium 'Hibotan' or 'Ruby Ball' or whatever they choose to call it must be grafted Lenore since it is chlorophyll deficient and cannot exist on it's own roots because it requires a stock that can photosynthesise to feed it. They all came from one original seedling that was grafted at match head size before it died and have all been propagated ever since by removing offsets and grafting them.

I must confess I don't use antibacterial soap as in this video and now some use cling film (Kitchen Wrap) over the top instead of elastic bands and secured with clothes pegs or elastic band around stock:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1zASb0p470

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZHev-oALq4

An interesting method for seedling grafting is to use Schlumbergera (Christmas Cactus) as a stock as in this video. This would be the size the original Gymnocalycium 'Ruby Ball' was first grafted, but probably on Myrtillocactus the Japanese usually use as a stock and not Schlumbergera:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuj5b9xTg2U

If you look on YouTube and put in either "Grafting Cacti" or "Growing Cacti" you will find many video's on the subject.

The secret to maintaining a constant sized collection Cosmo so it does not get too large to handle is to keep killing as many old ones as you keep buying new ones! :lol:
Dawnstar75

Post by Dawnstar75 »

Wow okay...so I most likely will lose some of my stock trying...no...LEARNING how to conquer this tiny monster. bear with me im going to make some mistakes but will learn from all of them and i will never give up. today im learning also how to use forums and pics. Thank you for being my support system in this exciting life or death experience!
http://s1151.photobucket.com/user/Choho ... .jpeg.html

grumble cuss....hold on
http://s1151.photobucket.com/user/Choho ... .jpeg.html
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o63 ... nzbpg.jpeg

be right back
Dawnstar75

Post by Dawnstar75 »

cosmotoad wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:46 pm Hi Lenore, it sounds like you're experiencing what a lot of us have in the early stages of cactus/succulent cultivation. I've been advised to not get too ahead of myself and keep a manageable amount of plants/seedlings but I don't always follow that rule. Right now I've got probably just as much as I can handle, but there's more seeds and a few plants on the way in the mail. Oh well, I'll make it work. I also invested in a bunch of LED light panels this year and they're working nicely for me, especially for the seedlings. Since you're a master gardener (what are some of your favourite things to grow? soon it will be cacti but I'm just curious if you specialize in any specific kinds of plant) I'm sure you'll figure things out quickly, most of the time it isn't too difficult. You'll run into some problems like rot, weird colours and spots, insects, etc. but the people here will be glad to help you out (there's a lot of real experts here, but I'll do my best with my limited knowledge). Don't Panic (great advice from the cover of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy), things will go well if you do your research. You're lucky to be in NM, a lot of growers here live in places that cacti would rather not be, so you've got an advantage there.

If you've got any questions please ask, good luck to you with your cactus cultivation journey :)
Hey cosmo.thank you so very much for the encouragement. There are so many plants i love to grow.. orchids plumaria right now my favorite is a Zanzibar Gem that was given to me for free!!!! woot woot I used to volunteer in the community museums schools etc not much anymore.
I am also happy to be in an arid location. Avoiding the rot monster at all costs!! lol
Dawnstar75

Post by Dawnstar75 »

Question...what are my odds of success grafting a Gymnoblah on to an echinopsis var.rose quartz. Im broke and have to try something today. mihonovichii nominblah has invaded my psyche and im almost ready to get my razor out. lol
Dawnstar75

Post by Dawnstar75 »

DaveW wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:22 am Gymnocalycium 'Hibotan' or 'Ruby Ball' or whatever they choose to call it must be grafted Lenore since it is chlorophyll deficient and cannot exist on it's own roots because it requires a stock that can photosynthesise to feed it. They all came from one original seedling that was grafted at match head size before it died and have all been propagated ever since by removing offsets and grafting them.

I must confess I don't use antibacterial soap as in this video and now some use cling film (Kitchen Wrap) over the top instead of elastic bands and secured with clothes pegs or elastic band around stock:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1zASb0p470

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZHev-oALq4

An interesting method for seedling grafting is to use Schlumbergera (Christmas Cactus) as a stock as in this video. This would be the size the original Gymnocalycium 'Ruby Ball' was first grafted, but probably on Myrtillocactus the Japanese usually use as a stock and not Schlumbergera:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuj5b9xTg2U

If you look on YouTube and put in either "Grafting Cacti" or "Growing Cacti" you will find many video's on the subject.

The secret to maintaining a constant sized collection Cosmo so it does not get too large to handle is to keep killing as many old ones as you keep buying new ones! :lol:
Thank you Dave. Im gearing up to do this graft (my first) I am accutly sensitive to the universal conscionsness aspect of this project so Im trying to get past myself. This is exactly why I couldn't do Bonsai because I thought my other plants were watching me torment the poor defenseless Ficus b. so I stopped and so did the voices of my other houseplants. Im not crazy....just acutely aware. So I need to get past this incapacitated thought process so I can be successful. I realize that this may sound ridiculous to some hominids but that's fine because I need to get past this so I am reaching out for advise. I also think its silly but im posting anyways.
cosmotoad

Post by cosmotoad »

DaveW wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:22 am The secret to maintaining a constant sized collection Cosmo so it does not get too large to handle is to keep killing as many old ones as you keep buying new ones! :lol:
Yeah no problem there, I've sacrificed a few seedlings the past couple months to grafts that didn't pan out, and usually there's a casualty or two during the winter in the greenhouse. Although I'm getting better so there's been less killing lately.

I don't know much about orchids but I've got a couple that are less common I think (isochilus, paphiopedilum, another one I keep forgetting the name of) and I've got a couple plumerias from seed I started this summer. Don't know anything about Zanzibar Gem but free plants are always nice.

I'm not the person to listen to for grafting advice since my success has been limited, but I sort of get what you mean about the plants watching you perform experiments on the others; but it doesn't really bother me too much. I figure they'll understand when they see the end result (or be horrified at yet another failed experiment, oh well).
Dawnstar75

Post by Dawnstar75 »

cosmotoad wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:10 pm
DaveW wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:22 am The secret to maintaining a constant sized collection Cosmo so it does not get too large to handle is to keep killing as many old ones as you keep buying new ones! :lol:
I don't know much about orchids but I've got a couple that are less common I think (isochilus, paphiopedilum, another one I keep forgetting the name of) and I've got a couple plumerias from seed I started this summer. Don't know anything about Zanzibar Gem but free plants are always nice.

I'm not the person to listen to for grafting advice since my success has been limited, but I sort of get what you mean about the plants watching you perform experiments on the others; but it doesn't really bother me too much. I figure they'll understand when they see the end result (or be horrified at yet another failed experiment, oh well).
ooo what kind of Paphipedilblahum do you have...i lost al 10 of my different orchids including a whiskered lady slipper from hawaii. :lol: ..................my prize winning Beaucarnia recurvata won a special huge ribbon at the state fair in 2009. :cry: okay enough!
ZZPlants are pretty expensive so yeah I was stoked.
As for my first graft we will just wait and see if it takes. *fingers crossed*
cosmotoad

Post by cosmotoad »

Not sure what type, it just said paphiopedilum sp. on the tag. Looking forward to seeing it flower some day though. Hope your graft goes well, my results have been a bit iffy but I did get a bit of beginner's luck when I was starting out, so that may happen to you too
Dawnstar75

Post by Dawnstar75 »

Okay guys I have learned much with this grafting experience.
#1...I have a totally new appreciation for people who actually do graft ESPECIALLY micrografters!! I was shaking so bad when making the cuts! Then my cuts were not straight so I fixed it then had to redo the downward cuts that keep the cacti from curling while drying. (Assuming that's why those cuts are made)well guys guess what...before I realized it I had left myself with only 1\4 of the scion! With my limited knowledge of meristem manipulation I figured I may still have a chance so I aligned the cambium circle as good as I could. Posting this from my phone in switching to pc brb
Dawnstar75

Post by Dawnstar75 »

:D Imagedoes anyone know what this is btw
Attachments
ssucc.jpg
ssucc.jpg (92.79 KiB) Viewed 2607 times
cosmotoad

Post by cosmotoad »

No but it is very weird looking
Dawnstar75

Post by Dawnstar75 »

cosmotoad wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:52 pm No but it is very weird looking
Cosmo... i have chased it down as a type of iceplant but cant seem to find it on the internet. i have the cutting suspended over water now trying to test some of these propagation ideas that work for other people.
On a more interesting note i am thinking that this graft is failing ....there is a tiny gap of light showing between the scion and the rootstock well.....I used 2 straight pins and ummm well i pinned the scion to the rootstock. WHY??? what could i lose that im not possibly losing anyways and when i was a little girl my stepfather was in a very bad motorcycle accident and he came home with a crazy thing on his leg called a Hoffmans Device....im no med student hahaha but wouldnt the same concept work here?
Attachments
forum resize2.jpg
forum resize2.jpg (49.66 KiB) Viewed 2540 times