Rooting Pachycereus pringlei cutting

Multiplying your cacti vegetatively.
kak tus

Rooting Pachycereus pringlei cutting

Post by kak tus »

I will be purchasing two cuttings of Pachycereus pringlei and was wondering if anyone has any experiences to share on getting these to root or any specific advice unique to this species. My last attempt at propagation using offsets of Echinopsis subdenudata and Tephrocactus articulatus has not yielded any rooting after a month - despite reading that these two species are among the easiest to root! I'll provide photos of the cuttings when they arrive. Thanks!
maurozzz

Re: Rooting Pachycereus pringlei cutting

Post by maurozzz »

kak tus wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:40 pm I will be purchasing two cuttings of Pachycereus pringlei and was wondering if anyone has any experiences to share on getting these to root or any specific advice unique to this species. My last attempt at propagation using offsets of Echinopsis subdenudata and Tephrocactus articulatus has not yielded any rooting after a month - despite reading that these two species are among the easiest to root! I'll provide photos of the cuttings when they arrive. Thanks!

I wish I had some Info/knowledge to share with you but I just started my cacti adventure. I hope someone answers your inquiries. Please post the pictures when you get the cuttings.

Best of luck.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Rooting can take quite a time with cacti since they can sometimes stand for up to a year or so before rooting if older cuts.

See:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDL7aK-cknA
kak tus

Post by kak tus »

DaveW wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:01 pm Rooting can take quite a time with cacti since they can sometimes stand for up to a year or so before rooting if older cuts.

See:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDL7aK-cknA
Thank you, Dave, for the video link - I find it very informative. I have purchased the cutting and will update with photos of my rooting attempt soon.
cactushobbyman

Post by cactushobbyman »

I treated the cutting like others. Let dry for a week or more, put it in my regular cactus mix and give some water every two weeks. I rooted the cutting last year and now new growth. Haven't check the roots, firm in the pot though. :D
Pot size 5 1/2 inch jumbo
Pot size 5 1/2 inch jumbo
a.jpg (64.38 KiB) Viewed 7534 times

8)
kak tus

Post by kak tus »

Here are photos of one of the cuttings.. It has 10 ribs, one central spine and about ten radial spines. It looks very different from cactushobbyman's P. pringlei and other photos I googled so I would hesitate identifying it as such for now. The cuttings came from a plant that is about 20 years old (or so the seller claims). A Cereus fricii perhaps?
Attachments
IMG_2658.JPG
IMG_2658.JPG (133.46 KiB) Viewed 7407 times
IMG_2659.JPG
IMG_2659.JPG (158.71 KiB) Viewed 7407 times
kak tus

Post by kak tus »

The Pachycereus has rooted.
Attachments
IMG_3033.JPG
IMG_3033.JPG (84.68 KiB) Viewed 7289 times