Moving Cacti

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
saboten

Moving Cacti

Post by saboten »

Hello all--

It looks like I'm going to be having some major life changes soon, which means moving from Minnesota, USA to Riyadh, KSA (Saudi Arabia). I was wondering if anyone has moved plants overseas -- or whether this is even possible. So far, I haven't researched any laws (any resources on that would be appreciated) nor have I considered how I would transport any plants that I bring. So I figured I would ask you all!

It would be nice to be able to bring some of my cacti, as I figure they might enjoy the desert sunshine a bit more than the hazy winter skies or the north!

Any/all feedback is appreciated :)
ElieEstephane

Re: Moving Cacti

Post by ElieEstephane »

I haven't been to KSA myself but a good number of my friends moved there and they reported that temperatures can reach 50 degrees Celsius. Most cacti will go dormant at these temperatures so your best bet is growing on a windowsill inside the air conditionned residence.
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

It is usually too much hassle and expense for amateurs to legally take cacti and other succulents over international borders due to CITES regulations (unless within the EU, which is counted as single country for CITES) since the documentation required is hard to get and It usually works out cheaper to sell your plants and buy again in the country you move to.

Just had a look on the Web and found these. Amazing what you cannot take in to Saudi Arabia, for instance "Crosses, Crucifixes or stars of David" which will be confiscated and destroyed at the border. Alcohol, electronic cigarettes and firearms or replica guns are evidently also banned, among many other things.

http://www.dhl.com/content/dam/download ... _sa_en.pdf

https://dhlguide.co.uk/export-to-saudi-arabia/

If I have read the following correctly the import of cacti are banned:-

"Cactaceae (excluding those listed in Appendix 35). Appendix 35 says :- 35 Yellow Pitaya shipped from Colombia directly to Japan and which meets the standards established by the Minister of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries.

http://www.pps.go.jp/english/law/list2.html
CoffeeAddict

Post by CoffeeAddict »

Unfortunately, a fire sale is in your future.
Joe

Zone 5a/5b
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

I think this list is probably outdated Dave. You can take a crucifix (among many other stuff) with you. It's just that they don't allow you to wear it in public because i assume they would spontaneously catch fire on sight :lol: :lol:
On the other hand, Riyad is the strictest place you can go to in Saudi Arabia so don't expect many leisurely activities. If you do mamage to take some plants in your suitcase from the US, do not attempt at all to bribe someone at the airport or you'll be in big trouble.
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
saboten

Post by saboten »

ElieEstephane wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:25 pm I think this list is probably outdated Dave. You can take a crucifix (among many other stuff) with you. It's just that they don't allow you to wear it in public because i assume they would spontaneously catch fire on sight :lol: :lol:
On the other hand, Riyad is the strictest place you can go to in Saudi Arabia so don't expect many leisurely activities. If you do mamage to take some plants in your suitcase from the US, do not attempt at all to bribe someone at the airport or you'll be in big trouble.
Thanks for doing that research for me Dave :). I was wondering if it would be too hard to bring plants -- however, it raises another question that I have. When I was in Korea last year, I was able to bring back several tiny cac's and suc's which were designed to be miniatures and some could fit in a little capsule to wear around the neck, but one was potted. I asked the clerk in Korea and said that I wouldn't have a problem to bring them in my carry-on. Is that just because of United States regulations, do you suppose? I am just curious, and I figure if anyone knew it would be this crowd.

My partner, who is Saudi himself, feels pretty sure that nobody is even going to care upon arrival, and if I just pack some small ones in his carry on (not mine) there's not going to be an issue. I'm not sure, but maybe I could just try to pack up one or two that I don't have a huge attachment to in case they did get seized. :-P I will have to find some foster parents for some of my other plants while I'm away!

As for the above mentioned list of banned items, I think, too, that it's a little outdated or overstated. I think it would only be banned to bring 900 Bibles or something, but personal items are OK. As for leisurely activities, since I don't drink anyway and am most happy at home with my books and plants, I think I'll be OK in Riyadh haha :D I've already memorized plant words in Arabic. Now I just have to scope out the greatest nurseries!
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

If you take plants in you can always either plead ignorance or insanity if they seize them. :D Many British tourists bring plants back from holidays outside they EU completely ignorant there is anything called CITES and certain plants are listed on it, so many no doubt get through. I presume though you are supposed to declare them on any customs declaration cards they give you on the flight.

See:-

http://www.cactus-art.biz/note-book/Dic ... _cites.htm
saboten

Post by saboten »

Well! I've moved, and in the end I figured I would just leave my plants in my dad's and grandparents' care *fingers crossed*. However, I managed to 'smuggle' one fruit from a Mammillaria which I had had in my cardigan pocket, forgot about, then smashed in said pocket, then hid in a napkin. Now the little seeds have begun to sprout in a plastic cup!

And, for what it's worth (and, disclaimer, I'm not trying to give any authoritative advice here), I think I probably would have been able to get plants in, based on the fact that I entered the airport, and went through customs whilst carrying my pet rabbit in a carrier around my neck, resting on my front (clearly visible). Meanwhile, my partner, was carrying the rabbit's empty flight kennel was stopped by security, who argued a bit with him saying he couldn't bring in the rabbit(we had all the papers anyway)--all while there was no rabbit in the kennel and I had already passed through and was standing at the exit :D I wasn't sure whether I should feel relieved or troubled by their obliviousness.