Re-rooting cacti, from grafts and in general

Multiplying your cacti vegetatively.
MrCrimson

Re-rooting cacti, from grafts and in general

Post by MrCrimson »

When I re-root cacti, I usually put them on a shelf or something, and wait for them to send out roots. I then put them carefully into some moist soil.

Is this a general techniqe that works with absolutely all cacti ?

Also, for root-bound cacti, how will they react on just slicing off the roots and repot them ? (after callused cut, of course)
hablu

Post by hablu »

Not with me. When the wound (or cutting) is dry - after a week or so- I put them already in dry soil. (which is a mix of stone, sharpsand and a bit of potground) After that I give it a light place out of the sun and moist regurarly for many weeks (7 to 12) After that the first watering. That is my way. Harry
MrCrimson

Post by MrCrimson »

I used to do it that too, until I tried it with a lophophora.. which simply started to rot. Somebody told med to try the "wait for roots"-trick, and it worked well (the lopho looked horrible for a while though)
perrycornish

Post by perrycornish »

I found that this worked quite well although I don't know if it works for all cacti. Mine rooted by accident, I had left it to callous and forgot it was there, remembered weeks later and there they were, tiny reddish roots, it is now growing on beautifully :)
Perry

'No-one can make me feel inferior without my consent'

Eleanor Roosevelt
parodias

Post by parodias »

http://the-parodia.net/seramis/

your magic rooting substrate ..
Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae.
MrCrimson

Post by MrCrimson »

I need to get my hands on that Seramis-stuff :D
parodias

Post by parodias »

well I scanned google for "seramis Norge" and found quite some hits which unfortunately I cannot read :D
Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae.
MrCrimson

Post by MrCrimson »

hehe :D
The first hit is actually in a forum where I (as Thales) ask if somebody knows about it ;)

There are a few nurseries selling it, just havent found one here yet. But, I guess it will appear sooner or later.
Plantcelot

Post by Plantcelot »

:D Before I started learning about cactus I used to re-root my cactus cuttings (columnars) using root hormones with fungicide (Rootone). I also planted them immediately after the procedure. Now I let them dry for a week before doing anything and still use just a bit of Rootone on them. I know that I’m probably wrong with my method but so far, so good. Perhaps time will change my methods, specially with other types of cactus.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Yes, I think one of the key points is too have adequate light, but not in direct sun. Don't rush it either as most survive better for a while bare-rooted than in soggy soil.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Spikey1007

Post by Spikey1007 »

perrycornish wrote:I found that this worked quite well although I don't know if it works for all cacti. Mine rooted by accident, I had left it to callous and forgot it was there, remembered weeks later and there they were, tiny reddish roots, it is now growing on beautifully :)
Hehe, like me aswell i left a opuntia pad on a chair up in the attic went back up there weeks later to find it had rooted to the fabric of the chair :lol: .
peterb

Post by peterb »

Hi- Has anyone ever rooted Blossfeldia off a graft? (as in degrafted...) I have one with about two dozen heads and I'd like to try to grow a few on their own roots. Any tips? (other than wait until spring...)

peterb
Kristina

Post by Kristina »

Plantcelot wrote::D Before I started learning about cactus I used to re-root my cactus cuttings (columnars) using root hormones with fungicide (Rootone). I also planted them immediately after the procedure. Now I let them dry for a week before doing anything and still use just a bit of Rootone on them. I know that I’m probably wrong with my method but so far, so good. Perhaps time will change my methods, specially with other types of cactus.

I do this all the time and my babies always take root. I even cut a dying cactus 1/2 (I found at OSH Hardware store) added root hormone put the top bottom down in a clay pot for a week and started to water with my others works fine. (it still lives) ;) :roll: :roll:
Franj

Post by Franj »

If the plant can be grown on it's own roots, as in it's not some flourescent color or something, you should br able to degraft it. I've had success with some. I have a Mammillaria luethyii I want to try the same with. Yes I would definately wait untill spring if not summer. Let the cutting dry well and then pot up in some typical soil with sand on top. Water gently from below till actual growth is noticed. I have a theory which may be unfounded. I wonder if plant tissue can somehow sense when moisture is present and it triggers root growth. I seem to have better luck rooting cuttings and offsets if I water a little. I've used root hormone but haven't noticed it make a difference. I think it's more important for tropicals.

Franj
iann

Post by iann »

I have observed, non-scientifically, many cacti and succulents pushing out roots soon after they get a bit of water. But then I've seen cactus pieces do it when completely dry also. Most non-cactus succulents seem to prefer some water.
--ian