Gymnocalycium monvillei

Multiplying your cacti vegetatively.
cactushobbyman

Gymnocalycium monvillei

Post by cactushobbyman »

Gymnocalycium monvillei sub horridispinum is pupping. Is it strange to pup so high up? My Golden Barrels pup this high up. Just noticed it has five pups. All are the same height up on the plant. :)
3.jpg
3.jpg (156.26 KiB) Viewed 1821 times
8)
Pilif

Re: Gymnocalycium monvillei

Post by Pilif »

Chances are the growing point died, I've had this happen before. Gymnocalycium normally pup from the bottom.
Filip
cactushobbyman

Post by cactushobbyman »

Pilif wrote:Chances are the growing point died, I've had this happen before. Gymnocalycium normally pup from the bottom.
This is second full year in the greenhouse. It flowered this past spring. If the growing point died, I could see one or two pups, but all 5 around the same height up? I don't recall seeing any dead points or damaged areas. That's why I posted. Thanks
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

dunno that is strange. I think it's strange to watch golden barrels grow the pups up top, if they still have the growth points that are alive. I see Feros that have had their growth points damaged that grow crazily. It's so strange what cacti can do sometimes... crested plants are also bizarre as are Mostrose plants.
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
Pilif

Post by Pilif »

hmm, you say this is the second year in the greenhouse, could it be the height the pups are growing is the same place where the 'greenhouse-growth' starts? (I think I can see a few new ribs forming at about the same height, so it seems quite probable). I don't know too much about plant physiology, but maybe the plant sees that part as the new 'above-ground'-border because of the difference in growing conditions?
Filip
hoteidoc

Post by hoteidoc »

Nice eye, Pilif! I would go with that theory. Of course, I'm not a cactus, but since new ribs & pups starting @ same location, wouldn't be surprised!
Once bitten by the cactus collecting/growing bug, there is no known cure!
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!