Looking for advice please.....

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
perrycornish

Looking for advice please.....

Post by perrycornish »

...this is the first time i have grown cactus from seed and I'm not sure what I should do next, to transplant or not to transplant before the winter? They are quite loose in the soil, in fact if I move them they wave about! My cacti are wintered indoors, do seedlings need more water than the parents or do they like a rest too?
Here they are

The biggest is about 3.8cm and the smallest 1cm, thanks because I know you will help :)
Perry

'No-one can make me feel inferior without my consent'

Eleanor Roosevelt
iann

Post by iann »

I don't grow Hylocereus but they need to be kept warm in winter and are going to end up sprawling sooner or later whatever you do. Seedlings need some water over winter, they don't have the reserves for a six month drought, but they don't need to be constantly moist. Hylocereus need more water than an average cactus, I think. I wouldn't normally repot at this stage but I think these are going to grow quite fast, especially since you will need to keep them warm and watered over winter.
--ian
perrycornish

Post by perrycornish »

Thank you Ian :) Any thoughts on how warm in winter? I'm happy to wait for wait for a Hylo grower if necessary, I have never grown them either!
Your answer has given me a good start, they will be watered :) (Consevatively of course!)
Perry

Eleanor Roosevelt
peterb

Post by peterb »

Hi Perry-

I think hylocerei never really get very cold in the wild. So I bet just being in a sunny window indoors will be fine for them over the winter. The seedlings will probably do better if you wait until spring to transplant them. I don't give cacti seedlings a winter rest really in their first year, but they do slow down a bit on their own.

Peterb
perrycornish

Post by perrycornish »

Thank you, Peter as well! This is exactly what I needed to know. Now I should be able to raise a bunch of warmth loving cactus to sprawl around :)
Perry

Eleanor Roosevelt