New Cacti Plot

Discuss hardy cacti grown outside all year.
Charles

New Cacti Plot

Post by Charles »

I finished a new plot today. The only plant I did not receive was the Trig. with a white flower.
Apparently they are in high demand.
Tips for a new cacti Garden or planting.
I save the packing slip and place it in a file. I also draw an outline of the new plot and where each cactus was planted. An item I regret not doing was to record the Date of planting. (If you take a photo it will have the date in the properties.)
Ten years later, I can not remember if the plant is five years old or ten years old. :shock:
I also changed the way I build plots. I used to have a rock garden with a few cacti. I have removed almost all rocks except for borders. I have redone all of my plots into flat plots(but not level plots) .

Below are before and after photos. #1 was taken 11/17/2005. Notice the tiny Rostrata yucca at the right edge of the plot. The new plot was made by removing the gravel and white walk way. Notice the seven foot Rostrata now! The other Yucca is a Banana Yucca, Yucca bacata, I think.

#2 June 3, 2011
Pilif

Post by Pilif »

that yucca pushed out some impressive growth indeed :shock:
makes me wish I had the space to grow them.
Filip
Charles

New Cactus Blooms

Post by Charles »

Thank Goodness winter is finally over in Reno. My garden is coming alive. Here are a couple of photos today.
I waited several hours for the above flower to open.
Below is an Echin. trig. from Torrance County NM. They do not grow this big in their environment. (If they still exist there.)
This one has a stem 18 inches(45.7 cm) high. It is 4 1/2 inches(11.4cm) wide. A maximum height seems to be 18" in my garden regardless of the cactus variety.
Below is another cactus from NM. The tall stem looks to be higher than 18" but it is only 15". It is 3" wide.
West of Torrance County by about 2 1/2 hour drive are a few variations of the Echin. trig. This one is from the Alamogordo area. It is about four years old. I wonder if it will exceed 18" in a few years?
If you drive from Alamogordo to Las Cruces NM while looking to the North, you may see the 'White Sands Echin. trig." On second thought, let someone else drive and you do the looking. Look near one of the desert bushes for the cactus. You may also see a few African Oryx.
Andy_CT

Post by Andy_CT »

The second one is x roetteri? Its a beauty.
Charles

Post by Charles »

Andy,
The second one is Echin. trig. from Torrence Co. NM.

I need to update my charts. I made a lot of changes but have not update my garden charts.

Charles
I'll send more pics tomorrow.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Incredible flower display! :shock:
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Andy_CT

Post by Andy_CT »

Charles wrote:Andy,
The second one is Echin. trig. from Torrence Co. NM.
I meant the second Echinocereus with the peach flowers.
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

I always enjoy seeing your garden! The flowers are "awesome"!
It’s not the fall that kills you; it’s the sudden stop at the end.
Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)
Charles

More pics

Post by Charles »

Harriet and Andy,
This has been a fast spring for flowers. May was a complete loss because it warmed up then froze several times killing off flowers buds and confusing cacti.
Here are a couple of pics.
one: Echinocereus X lloydii / Pecos TX
two: I have below pic as "Escobaria chihuahuensis v hendricksoniae" but can no longer find where it was sold. Another person told me it was baileyii. ?
three: I crossed above with the next cactus pic I have listed as Echinoocereus X rotteri.
Below I also have listed as Echinoocereus X rotteri
which suggests I have a name error because they have diffrenet color flowers. Note the free growing seedling at the base of its mother.
Anyway....It produced the seedlings below that are extremely fast growing and have multiple heads.
The seedling in pics are less than one year old. The last one is 1/2 inch high.
iann

Post by iann »

E. x roetteri has variable flower colour. The peachy pale pink flower looks right, but the purple flower is not normal.

That doesn't look like any sort of Escobaria. Big spiny and hairy flowers say Echinocereus. Might be E. baileyi. Does it have fairly pale pink flowers?
--ian
Andy_CT

Post by Andy_CT »

Yeah, that third picture above is a reichenbachii type probably baileyi like iann suggests
Charles

Post by Charles »

Hate to answer myself but on another chart I list the same cactus as Echin. reichen. v. perbellus (Scarlet). I must get my charts in order.
iann

Post by iann »

Charles wrote:Hate to answer myself but on another chart I list the same cactus as Echin. reichen. v. perbellus (Scarlet). I must get my charts in order.
That sounds right.
--ian
Charles

Post by Charles »

Andy_CT

Post by Andy_CT »

I use a hand drawn map on paper to keep track of everything 8)