help please

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
Cacti_Freak

help please

Post by Cacti_Freak »

i have a few cacti that need identification please :)

these last two pics are of my oldest cacti, it started growing about 8 months ago rapidly and it even grew one small arm and then suddenly it started hanging...so i attached some strings to it...i don't know what it is and if i should let it hang

thx for the help
phil_SK

Post by phil_SK »

1 is Uebelmannia pectinifera, a species rather prized by growers - not one you see often in box stores :shock:
2 is a Mammillaria
3 ?
4 is Cleistocactus winteri ssp. winteri (aka Borzicactus aurespinus, Hildewinteria aurespina if you're googling these to check)
5 ?
6 ?
7 is a grafted plant (on Hylocereus undatus) of perhaps some sort of Echinopsis?? that has no chlorophyll so can't survive unless grafted on something green. These tend not to live for very long :(
8 is Parodia haselbergii ssp. graessneri (aka Notocactus graessneri)
9 is Opuntia monacantha, the variegated and monstrose form.

2, 3 and 9 particularly are showing misshapen growth due to lack of light. Try to find the sunniest windowsill you can (though in Summer a week in semi sun might be needed so that they don't burn while they're getting used to brighter light).
Dries

Post by Dries »

2. Etiolated Mammillaria elongata?
3. Echinopsis chamaecereus?
7. Probably Echinopsis chamaecereus f. aurea grafted on Hylocereus undatus.
Cacti_Freak

Post by Cacti_Freak »

thx guys...the problem is that i have a south facing window and if i put them there they get sunburns...but i guess ill fix up something so they get a healthy amount of sunlight...thx 4 the help
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

gradually introduce them to the sunlight and you won't have a problem at all
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)
Mladen_DJ

Post by Mladen_DJ »

No 6 is from Coryphanta genus I think.
Have a nice spines...