is this for real

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
cactusbutt

is this for real

Post by cactusbutt »

found it on google :?
templegatejohn

Plant ID

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi,

I assume you mean the cactus?

It looks like a big old Ferocactus to me.

John
cactusbutt

Post by cactusbutt »

Hi John
yes the cactus :D
i didnt know they got that big :shock:
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

They get a lot bigger than that -Take a look:

http://scottroussel.free.fr/ferocactus/Diguetiix.html

I've seen pictures in the CSSA journal of Fero's that were at least 50% larger than the one on the page above. I think the really big ones grow on an island off Baja California.
cactusbutt

Post by cactusbutt »

WOW they must be quite old :shock:
kari

Post by kari »

Bob, Arizona has some hefty Ferocactus, too. This is the barrel cactus (F. wislezenii? in the photo?) that people say to pulp the top for drinking water ifn you be dyin' o' thirst. DON'T! It does more harm than good because it is so alkaline. Yer best bet: prickly pear pads. Excellent source of good, clean water.
F. wislezenii (if I spelled it right) is also known as the southwestern barrel and it points SW, usually (Daiv?). There are a few others so I might have the species wrong.

At first I thought you meant the girl had no cactusbutt. :shock:

kari
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

That ain't nothin'! Take a look at this: http://www.cactiguide.com/graphics/001_ ... ii_600.jpg

This picture is from the CSSA Journal (US) Vol. 75 (2003), No. 3. It is listed with this caption:

"George Lindsay between two immense specimens of Ferocactus diguetii on Catalina Island, Baja California, on April 14, 1956. Photo courtesy of the California Academy of Sciences."

(I hope that's enough for credits and references.)
cactusbutt

Post by cactusbutt »

kari wrote:Bob, Arizona has some hefty Ferocactus, too. This is the barrel cactus (F. wislezenii? in the photo?) that people say to pulp the top for drinking water ifn you be dyin' o' thirst. DON'T! It does more harm than good because it is so alkaline. Yer best bet: prickly pear pads. Excellent source of good, clean water.
F. wislezenii (if I spelled it right) is also known as the southwestern barrel and it points SW, usually (Daiv?). There are a few others so I might have the species wrong.

At first I thought you meant the girl had no cactusbutt. :shock:

kari
if she backs up she will have a cactusbutt :lol:
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

kari wrote:F. wislezenii (if I spelled it right) is also known as the southwestern barrel and it points SW, usually (Daiv?).
Yep, they all grow at an angle and point towards the Sun. http://www.cactiguide.com/cactus/?genus ... =wislizeni

From what I've read, nobody knows why. One of the many mysteries of the wild world. I've heard guess that they grow more dense on the sunny side to get more shade from the spines being closer together or something of that sort. I am skeptical, however. It is certainly a phototropism of some sort.