Can you list some small cacti with relatively large flowers compared to body.

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
LateBloomer

Can you list some small cacti with relatively large flowers compared to body.

Post by LateBloomer »

I’m interested in small cacti that have large flowers when looking at body size… I’ve seen some REBUTIA and am in the mind set of small ariocarpus where you mainly see flower and body is small.

Name specific species if possible and pics would be nice but I can just google them

I’m aware the way one grows the cacti also changes body size like some very bloated mammillaria vs habitat or hard grown .
Aeonium2003

Re: Can you list some small cacti with relatively large flowers compared to body.

Post by Aeonium2003 »

Some mammilaria, some echinopsis?
LateBloomer

Re: Can you list some small cacti with relatively large flowers compared to body.

Post by LateBloomer »

Aeonium2003 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 1:41 am Some mammilaria, some echinopsis?
Are there any mammilaria with large flowers? All I see have tiny flowers.

Any echinopsis in specific? They do fall under my criteria but are a bit “large” but thanks I’ll look for a nice echinopsis

Btw I’ll be growing from seeds so clones with special flowers don’t work unless trait passes to seeds
Aeonium2003

Post by Aeonium2003 »

Try Echinopsis Chamaecereus. There are also numerous hybrids of Chamaecereus and other large flowering varieties.
7george

Post by 7george »

viewtopic.php?t=5825
-----
Mam. boolii is a must.

Escobaria minima

Turbinicarpus, Rebutia, Sulcorebutia, Blossfeldia...

All first bloomers of these look smaller actually.

Image Aylostera muscula.

Image Ariocarpus kotschoubeyanus.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
MrXeric

Post by MrXeric »

LateBloomer wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:02 am
Large flowered Mammillaria are a particular favorite of mine! A while ago I made a list of them (more like a checklist for me to grow from seed.) Here it is with links and pictures of my plants if I happen to have flowering size specimens. If anyone thinks I'm missing any please let me know!

Mammillaria albiflora
Mammillaria baumii
Mammillaria beneckei

Mammillaria bertholdii

Mammillaria boelderliana
Mammillaria boolii
Mammillaria deherdtiana
Mammillaria guelzowiana
Mammillaria herrerae
Mammillaria insularis
Mammillaria longimamma

Mammillaria luethyi

Mammillaria longiflora
Mammillaria melaleuca
Mammillaria meridiorosei
Mammillaria napina
Mammillaria paulii
Mammillaria saboae
Mammillaria sanchez-mejoradae
Mammillaria schumannii
Mammillaria senilis
Mammillaria solisioides
Mammillaria sphaerica
Mammillaria tetrancistra

Mammillaria theresae

Mammillaria wrightii
Mammillaria zephyranthoides

Some Echinopsis/Lobivia stay small and have large flowers, such as Lobivia famatinensis.

Some of the smaller gymnos, like Gymnocalycium bruchii v. niveum fits your criteria.

The Thelocephala group of Eriosyce may also interest you.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Mammillaria guelzowiana.
guelzowiana.jpg
guelzowiana.jpg (94.2 KiB) Viewed 1212 times

Many of the Rebutias or Aylostera's

Aylostera heliosa
heliosa (2).jpg
heliosa (2).jpg (78.58 KiB) Viewed 1212 times

Also Sulcorebutia's

Sulcorebutia tarabucoensis ssp. lindae
S.-tarabucoensis-lindae-RF-.jpg
S.-tarabucoensis-lindae-RF-.jpg (74.96 KiB) Viewed 1212 times
LateBloomer

Post by LateBloomer »

Awesome cacti…

Puna bonniae Also fit for me although grafted plants break it. Thanks everyone… btw the cacti don’t need to be miniatures just “small”
LateBloomer

Post by LateBloomer »

So I settled on Mammillaria herrerae and ariocarpus kotschoubeyanus v macdowellii. Next year or in 6 months I plan on getting more mammillaria particularly theresae and luethyi thanks for the list guys…

Some of the mammillaria listed are still quite overpriced since recently discovered like Mammillaria bertholdii. I’ve never been very found of mammillaria due to only seeing those tiny flower varieties even the body is quite large.

I’ll have to slowly collect those other mammillaria but priority goes to those under “ Mammillaria saboae” interesting.
keith

Post by keith »

Large flowered mammillarias are harder to grow than the small flowered ones , usually. I find Mammillaria herrerae pretty easy . M humboltii small flowers but brilliant red on white spines is very nice so is M lenta with white flowers. Plus all the others listed .
A_G_R

Post by A_G_R »

MrXeric wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:49 am
LateBloomer wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:02 am
Large flowered Mammillaria are a particular favorite of mine! A while ago I made a list of them (more like a checklist for me to grow from seed.) Here it is with links and pictures of my plants if I happen to have flowering size specimens. If anyone thinks I'm missing any please let me know!

Mammillaria heidiae comes to mind, it might be a ssp of zephyranthoides now, beautiful flower on it!
Alejandro