Recent local club meeting...

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
TimN

Recent local club meeting...

Post by TimN »

I went to the Central Arizona Cactus and Succulent Society meeting yesterday. I haven't been for many years.

Woody Minnich (Cactus Data Plants) did a presentation on a recent (?) trip to Chile to look at Copiapoas (SP?) in habitat. I love habitat photos and the Atacama desert looks pretty rugged.

Woody brought a small collection of plants for sale, unfortunately, I didn't bring cash. (plus I really don't need any more plants until I get the new cactus shed completed.)

The more I hear about Copiapoas the less suited for the Phoenix climate they appear. I know people around here grow them, but I don't know how the provide humidity. I"ll have to ask one of these days.

This club also has a silent auction every month as well as a free cuttings table. I didn't realize there was going to be stuff to buy or I would have brought more cash. I did pick up a tiny Escobaria NOID for tree fiddy. I think there had to be at least 50 plants in the auction (probably far more, I didn't count). I was very impressed with the selection and ages of some of the plants. Note to self: bring money next time.
Disclaimer: I'm in sunny Arizona, so any advice I give may not apply in your circumstances.

Tim
Sarraceniacrazy

Re: Recent local club meeting...

Post by Sarraceniacrazy »

Buying cacti is so addicting. I can't leaves Lowes without at least one.
Edwindwianto

Post by Edwindwianto »

TimN wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:23 pm I went to the Central Arizona Cactus and Succulent Society meeting yesterday. I haven't been for many years.

Woody Minnich (Cactus Data Plants) did a presentation on a recent (?) trip to Chile to look at Copiapoas (SP?) in habitat. I love habitat photos and the Atacama desert looks pretty rugged.

Woody brought a small collection of plants for sale, unfortunately, I didn't bring cash. (plus I really don't need any more plants until I get the new cactus shed completed.)

The more I hear about Copiapoas the less suited for the Phoenix climate they appear. I know people around here grow them, but I don't know how the provide humidity. I"ll have to ask one of these days.

This club also has a silent auction every month as well as a free cuttings table. I didn't realize there was going to be stuff to buy or I would have brought more cash. I did pick up a tiny Escobaria NOID for tree fiddy. I think there had to be at least 50 plants in the auction (probably far more, I didn't count). I was very impressed with the selection and ages of some of the plants. Note to self: bring money next time.
And...the pictures?
>.>
<.<
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Not had any trouble growing Copiapoa's Tim. However I suppose the UK is humid but to the north of their range in Chile they are in fact dying out as the Camanchaca (mist climate) seems to be moving south. They seem to grow without humidity most of the day so an occasional mist spray would mimic natural conditions.

Fred Kattermann used to spray his Chilean plants rather than water directly into the pots. Don't know how heavy the spray was he used as mine just get the hosepipe over the top along with the rest of my collection. Like most S. American cacti they do prefer a soil on the acid side of neutral since most of the ones I saw were growing on decomposed granite or quartz sand.

Copiapoa haseltoniana (taller form known as gigantea)

giganteea.jpg
giganteea.jpg (205.66 KiB) Viewed 1636 times

Plenty more in habitat here. Unfortunately BCSS changed their board and with copying across they are not as sharp as they were originally.:-

http://forum.bcss.org.uk/viewtopic.php? ... 1&start=70
TimN

Post by TimN »

Edwindwianto wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:01 am
And...the pictures?
>.>
<.<
LOL, I'm not a fanatical picture taker. I can describe it to you, though. It was room full of about 200 cactus enthusiasts.

I'll try to take some pictures of the silent auction plants at the next meeting.

On the other hand, I signed up to show plants in the April show. I've never done this before and I'm somewhat ambivalent about it. Apathetic may be a better adjective for my attitude. I've never been a fan of beauty contests of any sort. I don't plan on putting them in special pots or anything, just how they are in my cactus hut.

...trying something new...
Disclaimer: I'm in sunny Arizona, so any advice I give may not apply in your circumstances.

Tim
C And D

Post by C And D »

I grow many Copiapoas with out problems.

But I've found that unlike the Mexican Cactus, they need watering all year long.
Keeping them dry to simulate habitat conditions is only asking for desiccation.

I call them opportunists, they grow when water is available, and shrink when it's not.

I water all my South American cactus all year long, I go lighter on the water during the winter and make sure they dry out between waterings.
Some genera like the Tephrocactus and other small Opuntiads don't budge during the winter, but they don't rot either.

My Copiapoa monstroses will dry up if you don't water them regularly all year long.

BUT, this is for Southern California weather conditions, I think it should apply for Arizona, but I have no idea if it applies to England or other cold climates.
Check out our plant and seed lists
http://www.CandDplants.com

Craig and Denise Fry
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

We have a "Handbook of Shows" in the UK Tim which sets out the "Rules" so all BCSS judges "sing by the same hymn sheet". Also they have to attend and pass a Judges Course to judge BCSS Shows in the UK in order to try and remove as much of the judges personal bias regarding genera as possible.

We do not really mark the pots as you do in the USA. As long as it is clean and neat the pot gets no extra points since it is a cactus and not a ceramics show. Therefore a fancy expensive pot makes no difference the judging since our judges only judge the quality of the plant and not the pot.

There is an argument whether in this day and age our Handbook of Shows should simply be published free on the web:-

http://forum.bcss.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=162120
Minime8484

Post by Minime8484 »

We hope to see you at more CACSS meetings, TimN!
The Escobaria sp was one I brought (I usually bring a few goodies for the auction table each month).

Don't forget, we also have a Propagation Education Group (PEG) of the CACSS that meets every other month, and we always have give-aways (usually raffle plants), and all plants are free! The next PEG meeting is March 14 and is all about Cephalia in Cacti.

Hope to see your there!
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

If you can get to a cactus society or club meetings they are usually worth attending, not just for the lectures but the contacts you make for plants and information etc. The problem can be in some countries they are widely separated and therefore not close to you. Many countries do have them however:-

Maybe a few dead links here but most of their branches or affiliated clubs can be found by contacting these links if your country appears:-

http://www.cactus-mall.com/clubs.html

There are usually two types of organization depending on the country. Some are branches of a National Society as in the UK, Holland and Germany, but other countries may have local cactus clubs that are merely affiliated to a Society which often produces a journal. Then not all members of the club may be members of the Society itself.
TimN

Post by TimN »

Minime8484 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:23 pm
The Escobaria sp was one I brought (I usually bring a few goodies for the auction table each month).

Don't forget, we also have a Propagation Education Group (PEG) of the CACSS that meets every other month, and we always have give-aways (usually raffle plants), and all plants are free! The next PEG meeting is March 14 and is all about Cephalia in Cacti.

Hope to see your there!
I'm interested to see how the little Escobaria progresses...

I've got the PEG on my calendar and I'm likely to show up for more meetings.

I also have some things for the auction table, as well, but I wasn't sure what the process was. I think the process starts with showing up earlier!

Tim
Minime8484

Post by Minime8484 »

TimN wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:07 pm I also have some things for the auction table, as well, but I wasn't sure what the process was. I think the process starts with showing up earlier!
That's correct, Tim. There will be blank Silent Auction forms and pencils at the edge of the tables. Just fill them out (one per plant), and place your plant(s) on one of the tables provided with the accompanying form.

Come over and tell me Hi at the PEG meeting - would be great to put a face to the cactiguide moniker!

Cheers,
Tristan
TimN

Post by TimN »

Will do. I also have a nice shirt with cactus on it that I wanted to put in the auction. I bought it online and it's too small for me, but I'm sure someone would like it for a bargain!

Tim
Edwindwianto

Post by Edwindwianto »

TimN wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:35 pm Will do. I also have a nice shirt with cactus on it that I wanted to put in the auction. I bought it online and it's too small for me, but I'm sure someone would like it for a bargain!
let us see...let us seeeeeee
TimN

Post by TimN »

Edwindwianto wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:34 am
TimN wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:35 pm Will do. I also have a nice shirt with cactus on it
let us see...let us seeeeeee
When the weather gets warm enough for short sleeve shirts, I'll be sure to take a picture!

Tim
bartab

Post by bartab »

San Jose meets this Sunday. I’m going to check it out.