My own babies

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
iann

My own babies

Post by iann »

Ortegocactus seedlings from my own plants. Couple of months old now. There might be an imposter in there.
macdougalii-0123.jpg
macdougalii-0123.jpg (70 KiB) Viewed 1312 times
--ian
hoteidoc

Re: My own babies

Post by hoteidoc »

Nice, Iann! Have 2 seedlings -- only 1 each from 2 sets of seeds -- that seemed to be just holding on for over a year, but I've finally noticed a substantial taproot & good healthy green, so seem to have overcome whatever was holding them back. Still in baggie tho, no real reason to bring out until May/June.
Once bitten by the cactus collecting/growing bug, there is no known cure!
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!
r_shazrin

Post by r_shazrin »

Nice one iann. Is that just the top layer or the whole pot has that medium?

ShaZ
~ShaZ
iann

Post by iann »

That is the soil right through the pot. The dark bits are a sandy loam (John Innes) and the orange-brown granules are cat litter. Anything else will be a fine quartz grit. I'll probably open these up soon and give them some water. They do well in the open air and will want to be any sun as soon as there is any to put them in.
--ian
hoteidoc

Post by hoteidoc »

So are you saying these are "early out" seedlings/plants? Are can they stay "in" until porch stays above freezing (only place left with space for a seedling tub)?
Once bitten by the cactus collecting/growing bug, there is no known cure!
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!
CactusFanDan

Post by CactusFanDan »

Great little plants. :) I think this is one of the few plants I've been wanting to grow from seed, but not been able to find seed from which I would expect to be quite accessible. :P I'm probably not looking hard enough, or looking at the wrong time. In the mean time, I have an older plant to keep me occupied. :)
-Dan
Happy growing!

There is always one more glochid. Somewhere.
My C&S blog
iann

Post by iann »

They do seem pretty hardy. I've left some guinea pigs out this winter and they're fine. Of course its only been down to about -2C. The adults certainly like high light levels, but they're high altitude plants so I think they like good ventilation.

I might have some seed left over. If not I'm sure the plants will push some more out this spring, I know I didn't dig out every last one.
--ian