Maybe a silly question...

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
masscactus

Maybe a silly question...

Post by masscactus »

Hey - I noticed this morning on that large clump of baldianum I have, some very, very light green (in contrast to rest of plant) spots and streaks on a few heads. Some of the spots are a bit recessed. Looks like sunburn spots.

My theory - I keep these larger pots on greenhouse floor and as a result I am reaching over them constantly, its hot, I sweat, sweat drips. Nothing excessive, im not one of those super sweaty types but greenhouses are hot in the summer!. Im thinking this has maybe lead to sunburn where drops fell or dripped in full sun and I failed to notice.

Pictures help but had no time, I'll get some up later. Anybody on my theory? I cant think of anything else based on appearance, symptom, etc. Maybe I am crazy... :-k
Alber khan

Re: Maybe a silly question...

Post by Alber khan »

Same spots on my red(ish) baldianum,not streaks but spots,wonder what causes them.
When thousands of foes unite, for my ruins plot–
If only You remain by my side, I then fear not!
I live for a hoped union with thee, it is my desired prize–
Or all my moments are spent- in the fright of demise!
~Hafez (1325 – 1389): From Ghazal No. 287
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

Not silly--more like intriguing. No signs of disease? Heads are still firm? Interesting. This will take some sleuthing.
Catch a falling star--but don't try it with a cactus!
masscactus

Post by masscactus »

Daiv - please move this to "Sick Cacti - Pests, Diseases, etc", I should have started it there.

Pictures, last one is blurry but you get the idea. Whats going on here? I don't water overhead and never in sun. I cant figure out the cause. The heads shown are all close together:

CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

masscactus wrote:Daiv - please move this to "Sick Cacti - Pests, Diseases, etc", I should have started it there.
No problem, it's moved.

Maybe some type of fungus or bacteria? Snails/Slugs? I'm not sure what causes this.
Alber khan

Post by Alber khan »

Mine are just near the apex but your ones are soo big and so many.Mine ones are not so noticeable.
When thousands of foes unite, for my ruins plot–
If only You remain by my side, I then fear not!
I live for a hoped union with thee, it is my desired prize–
Or all my moments are spent- in the fright of demise!
~Hafez (1325 – 1389): From Ghazal No. 287
masscactus

Post by masscactus »

Yea I was going to say "Daiv or mods" please move the post. Thanks! :)

Snail - slugs, now thats interesting and I hadn't considered. I did see a slug recently just outside the greenhouse but never inside. This plant is on the floor...Bacteria/fungus was my second guess after sunburn. They don't look like sunburn spots where liquid might have dripped?

"I'm not sure what causes this." you have seen this or similar before?

Thanks for the responses!
CactusFanDan

Post by CactusFanDan »

From the looks of things and now that Darryl mentioned it, it does look like a slug or a snail has nibbled at the epidermis a bit and then decided it wasn't very tasty. They look like grazes, like a slug/snail would leave and they're the right shape as well. Still a bit quizzical, as there are no trails or any other evidence, like faeces. :-k Hmmm... i'm not saying it was aliens, but it could've been aliens. :wink:
-Dan
Happy growing!

There is always one more glochid. Somewhere.
My C&S blog
hoteidoc

Post by hoteidoc »

I'll vote for snails/slugs, Masscactus. Kind of "divets" I see on cabbage heads - complete with slug in it!
Once bitten by the cactus collecting/growing bug, there is no known cure!
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!
masscactus

Post by masscactus »

The consensus grows, I think it was probably some sort of insect too at this point. Would earwigs do this? Not surprising they didn't find it tasty, my plants are all fairly toxic. :)
tudedude

Post by tudedude »

I have something like that on a myrtillocactus. It starts off as yellows blemishes then with time they the start to sink in a little. Not sure what it is. Maybe infection, bug bites, chemical damage, or something bad for nutrition in it's soil mix.
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

I think many of us experience those. I just noticed a couple on one or two of mine, except mine are in a GH--I've seen no slugs or snails in there. They don't seem to cause any long-term harm; they don't enlarge. Maybe it's just "the nature of the beast"--the way some cacti behave in the heat and humidity of summer?
Catch a falling star--but don't try it with a cactus!