Gymnocalycium ID ???

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
jnspire

Gymnocalycium ID ???

Post by jnspire »

I have several gymno's. Two that I know to be Gymnocalycium stenopleurum because they came from @Tony.

On the main page for Gymnocalycium stenopleurum on CactiGuide it says that the flowers are white and that Gymnocalycium stenopleurum is a synonym for "Gymnocalycium mihanovichii var friedrichii".

On the main page for "Gymnocalycium mihanovichii" it says the flowers are "Green, Yellow" but, the image for
Gymnocalycium mihanovichii shows PINK flowers.

Then, when I scroll down to see the Var. stenopleurum it says that "Gymnocalycium mihanovichii subsp. friedrichii" has PINK flowers.

On one page for a synonymous plant it says white blooms and on the synonym page it says pink. Which is it?

What other identifying characteristics are there between Gymnocalycium mihanovichii & Gymnocalycium mihanovichii subsp. friedrichii (OR Gymnocalycium stenopleurum)???

It doesn't help any that almost all of the pictures on both pages are of "special" variegations etc.

Any help is appreciated!!! :)
iann

Re: Gymnocalycium ID ???

Post by iann »

Gymnocalycium mihanovichii ssp friedrichii (or just G. friedrichii) is the one with pink flowers. That is an invalid name but the one often seen in cultivation. G. stenopleurum is the correct name for plants with white or pink flowers.

G. mihanovichii correctly describes only plants with the unusual greenish/brownish flowers.
--ian
majcka

Post by majcka »

iann wrote:Gymnocalycium mihanovichii ssp friedrichii (or just G. friedrichii) is the one with pink flowers. That is an invalid name but the one often seen in cultivation. G. stenopleurum is the correct name for plants with white or pink flowers.

G. mihanovichii correctly describes only plants with the unusual greenish/brownish flowers.
If I understand this right; My G. mihanovichii (that one who looks like lollypop and is now dead) wasnt even mihanovichii (because it had pink flowers) but was infact friderichii?!
Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

iann

Post by iann »

majcka wrote: If I understand this right; My G. mihanovichii (that one who looks like lollypop and is now dead) wasnt even mihanovichii (because it had pink flowers) but was infact friderichii?!
Most of them are. The green flowers are really not that common. Cue another gratuitous photo.
mihanovichii4.jpg
mihanovichii4.jpg (65.95 KiB) Viewed 521 times
--ian
jnspire

Post by jnspire »

majcka wrote:If I understand this right; My G. mihanovichii (that one who looks like lollypop and is now dead) wasnt even mihanovichii (because it had pink flowers) but was infact friderichii?!
It sounds like it. I thought that I had a G. mihanovichii too. But, now I think that I just have four pink blooming G. Stenopleurum! :)