ID Please

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
writer333

ID Please

Post by writer333 »

Hello, I am new to this forum and had a cactus that needs identifying. I am really thinking along the lines of Pilosocereus, and at first I thought it was a pachycladus, but now I am not so sure. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you for your time.
dw0rk1n

Re: ID Please

Post by dw0rk1n »

I am having the same problem identifying these. I thought it was Polaskia Chichipe, but I have seen it identified as Pilocereus Azureus=Pachycladus. The last one is also on the top 10 most common. I am going to take a photo of mine and post it as well.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Very hard to tell these columnars when they are that size. I. dumorteri is another possibility on this one.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
writer333

Post by writer333 »

Yeah, I might have to wait until it gets older or until it flowers. But at least the cactus is doing well so far, even though I only got it a few days ago.
writer333

Post by writer333 »

Just to let you know, the number of ribs is 6. This confuses me even more, because it goes against my original theory: I read somewhere that pachycladus have 7-10 ribs. :roll:
writer333

Post by writer333 »

I have been monitoring this cactus, and its spines are beginning to turn from golden-brown to white. It also has an areole stacked on top of another one, and both have spines on them. Don't know if that helps, either. :?
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Good observations, but unfortunately those characteristics can vary from young to adult plant in a number of species. :?
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti