Unknown Mamma with flowers

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
Mladen_DJ

Unknown Mamma with flowers

Post by Mladen_DJ »

This is one of my first cacti, so lets say its important to me.

I have it for three years, and these are first flowers. Before I was trying to put in somewhere between M. bombycina, dioica, magnifica, longiflora, blossfeldiana. But this flowers are not fits in :dontknow: . It is 9 cm high, 6 cm in diameter, has long hooked centrals (about 2,5 to 3 cm), none or minimal wool. Picture isn't very good, taken with phone, but guess it is relative clear. So anyone...
Have a nice spines...
iann

Post by iann »

Mammillaria magnifica. It's a fairly short spined form but I can't think what else it would be.
--ian
Mladen_DJ

Post by Mladen_DJ »

Thanks iann, M magnifica looks like a fair match, but spination looks pretty different, also flowers on my plant seems darker.

I'm searching just now, and jump over a M. rekoi ssp rekoi:
http://mammillarias.net/gallery/mammill ... ring=rekoi ssp rekoi&lg=uk

It looks to me like best match for now.
Last edited by Mladen_DJ on Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Have a nice spines...
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

could be something in the M. crinita group - such as zielmanianna. Even though it is not the right shape.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Mladen_DJ

Post by Mladen_DJ »

Well, rekoi ssp rekoi still looks to me like best match for now. I also notice its not even listed here on Cactiguide. Does it mean its not official (sub)species, or..? :?
Have a nice spines...
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Mladen_DJ wrote:Well, rekoi ssp rekoi still looks to me like best match for now. I also notice its not even listed here on Cactiguide. Does it mean its not official (sub)species, or..? :?
No, that only means I don't have pictures of that ssp. There is never only one subspecies or you could say that everything has a subspecies with the same name as the species - e.g. Carnegiea gigantea ssp. gigantea, but since there are no other ssp's the "ssp. gigantea" is superfluous and therefore not mentioned.

Following this, if you have M. rekoi ssp aureispina, then every plant that is not ssp aureispina, is automatically ssp. rekoi. Then if you add a third, such as M. rekoi ssp leptacantha, then everything that is not aureispina or leptacantha is rekoi and so it goes.

I think the concept is much easier than it is to describe.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Mladen_DJ

Post by Mladen_DJ »

Thanx for clearification daiv. I was little bit confused at first.

Well if you need photo, and if my M. rekoi is realy M. rekoi as I think it is, you know where you can find it.

I believe my M. rekoi will be honored to be a model. 8)
Have a nice spines...