Sansevieria

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
hob

Sansevieria

Post by hob »

hi, i bought this a couple of years ago thinking it was Sansevieria trifasciata the one that grows about 4 feet tall. however it seems to have grown wider than i expected and not very tall :? now what looks like a new plant has come up through the soil (between the tag and the main plant}

did i get the wrong one :?:
am i growing it wrong somehow :?:
and will it be ok if i leave it outside in the garden for the summer :?:

incurable cactoholic
growing rebutia's with a mix of others.
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

I know nothing about Sanseveria's, other than what they look like :roll: But the one my wife has, is an indoor plant and it does very well in a south window. It bloomed this past fall, but i missed it :(

All the Sanseverias i've seen at the garden centers have all been indoors or in maximum shade.
hablu

Post by hablu »

Oeh, that's just opposite to what I wanted to say. I have them on a north windowsill and they flower each year. Before that I had them south and they became very pale. Once or twice I have in a nice gentke summerrain; the rest of the time they get very little water. (less than most of the cacti}
Harry
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

Hey Hob, my wife has a couple pots full of the one you want :wink: plus some that only get about 6" tall.

Every spring they go outside and sit on the porch, they get early morning sun then shade from the porch the rest of the day. They must love it because they multiply like crazy.
Bill

If it sticks ya or pokes ya, I like it
hob

Post by hob »

ihc6480 wrote:Hey Hob, my wife has a couple pots full of the one you want :wink: plus some that only get about 6" tall.

Every spring they go outside and sit on the porch, they get early morning sun then shade from the porch the rest of the day. They must love it because they multiply like crazy.
drat thats what i thought :( i got the wrong one :?

are they any good to eat :lol:
incurable cactoholic
growing rebutia's with a mix of others.
Tony

Post by Tony »

I have the taller growing one in mostly shade with some afternoon sun.
It does prefer little water and grows like krazy.
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
Di

Tony........or anyone...Sansevieria

Post by Di »

Tony wrote:I have the taller growing one in mostly shade with some afternoon sun.
It does prefer little water and grows like krazy.
I have one in the house that looks exactly like yours (species wise, I mean). The tallest piece from the soil is 36 inches. A couple of the tips have gone brown. Do I just cut them off or do I let it stay that way. If I cut them off, should I put something on the cuts so they heal like gardeners sulpher? Do I shape them like a spike when I cut them or flat/straight.

I also have one that has the yellow/gold colour around the edges. It isn't as healthy as I have sort of neglected that one.

My big one needs to be re-potted. Can I put the healthy pieces of the other one in the same pot?

My healthy one is in a sunny window and seems to love it. Has grown a lot since I bought it last year for $12.99 Cdn. It truly is beautiful.

Do you think the tips went brown because I haven't watered it in quite some time or it really needs a new pot?

Thanks to anyone who can help!
Di
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

Guess I should pay more attention to what I throw at the ground!
I didn't even realize Sansevieria was a succulent until very recently. I have a couple of the long leaf varieties in the ground here, and they regularly get thinned out as I have come to think of them as weeds.
The ones that get full sun for part of the day seem to do equally well as the ones that are in light shade all day, they don't seem to care if they are wet or dry, and Florida's hard freezes don't seem to kill them. So I'd say that you can put them in just about any window you want and they will be happy.
Also, could the brown tips be from too much fertilizer or other chemicals? Mine are totally neglected and do not have a mark on them!
Di

Post by Di »

Harriet wrote:Guess I should pay more attention to what I throw at the ground!
I didn't even realize Sansevieria was a succulent until very recently. I have a couple of the long leaf varieties in the ground here, and they regularly get thinned out as I have come to think of them as weeds.
The ones that get full sun for part of the day seem to do equally well as the ones that are in light shade all day, they don't seem to care if they are wet or dry, and Florida's hard freezes don't seem to kill them. So I'd say that you can put them in just about any window you want and they will be happy.
Also, could the brown tips be from too much fertilizer or other chemicals? Mine are totally neglected and do not have a mark on them!
No fertilizers or chemicals. I have done nothing but water the plant occassionally since I bought it last year. Still in the crappy plastic pot in came in. The other one however has been sitting in my windowless bathroom, hence why it isn't doing well. That will change.
Although, it does appear my cats have nibbled on the one with brown tips. But not those tips. I am baffled.
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

My wife started growing these in pots years ago. They fill the pot and then she divides them. She had 6 pots full and I finally convinced her to give some away so we're down to 2 pots now :lol:
The tallest one from the soil to the tips is 42 inches and it doesn't matter if they get good sunlight or not, they still grow.
I've heard the sap from these will cause a person to loose there voice if ingested-- hence the name-- Mother-in-laws tongue :lol:
Bill

If it sticks ya or pokes ya, I like it
iann

Post by iann »

I always thought these things would grow without any sun at all, but then there are dozens of species and maybe some of them are sun lovers.
--ian
Eupho-Sue

Post by Eupho-Sue »

I used to grow Sansevieria trifasciata laurenti - the tall one with yellow edges but got fed up of it's growth rate. I was forever splitting it up. If I kept it root bound it broke the clay pot with its roots, plastic was no match for those roots either. In the end I decided enough was enough and composted it.
They will grow in full light if acclimatized first.

Sue