Stapelia gigantea cutting .. help?

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
Wildfyre

Stapelia gigantea cutting .. help?

Post by Wildfyre »

I was recently given a rather large Stapelia gigantea cutting. My questions are-
How do I root it?
What medium should I use?
Should I use rooting hormone?

I orginaly just set it in a pot of cactus mix but now I see a small amount of black appearing at the base. Should I cut this off?
Buck Hemenway

Post by Buck Hemenway »

Wildfyre,

We treat stapelias and huernias just like cacti, only they don't need as much time to harden off. I've had good luck with rooting hormone with succulents in general, but I'm of the belief that the fungus inhibitors are the most important feature for rooting succulents.

They are notorious for rotting during their dormant period, which you are in in Seattle. Watch the black spot and only cut if it continues to spread. If you cut, take ALL of the discolored flesh and liberally sprinkle all of the cut area with the rooting hormone. Cactus mix is OK, but you probably should be using at least 75% pumice/ perlite mixed with the cactus mix.

No water at all until you are sure it is growing and then sparingly until mid summer.

It takes full sun here in Southern California.

Buck
Buck Hemenway
Wildfyre

Post by Wildfyre »

Thanks for the advice Buck! Just wanted to post that the cutting is now well rooted and growing thanks to this forum and it's members.
nachtkrabb

Post by nachtkrabb »

Hi,
good to hear that everything went right. I have some Stapelias and I cut them down each spring before they start to flower.
To grow the cutlings, I don't do any effort at all: simply 2/3 normal potting earth, 1/3 gross sand (or half/half). No special helpers or hormones necessary, Stapelias luckily are weeds ;-).