2 Mammillarias, maybe both Hahniana

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
Mike

2 Mammillarias, maybe both Hahniana

Post by Mike »

Hi,

The first I think is Mamm. hahniana, maybe ssp bravoae. The second looks awfully similar, but has thicker more curving radials, and they don't intertwine like the first and other hahniana I have seen. Also, the flowers whcih look like they will soon bloom seem rather low on the plant compared to others. Are they both hahniana? Thanks Mike

ondy

Post by ondy »

I just don't think that the first pics is a form of haniana. I see some resemblance to what you're guess is, but it just donesn't seem right to me. The second pic looks like a M. rhodantha.

Andy
logosdad

how 'bout

Post by logosdad »

[i]Mammillaria brauneana ???[/i]
Mike

Post by Mike »

Thanks guys,

I have looked a lot, and either these mamms are more "pesky" than I thought or some of pictures on the web are mislabelled.

Brauneana is a possibility. Also, if you go to the Mamm.net site, there is a hahniana ssp bravoae, and a haageana ssp elegans that are very close. On google, a pseudoperballa is also very close. Frankly, the pictures, which I have saved, look too similar to me.

O well Mike
ondy

Post by ondy »

Mike,

I would like to point out something that I have have noticed about a lot of these Mamm i.d.s that we go through all the time. I have found that most of the Mamms and a lot of the cacti in general that people come across without id. usually come from a handful of conmecial growers. Most of the cacti these growers sell are what I would consider common species. After a while you get to know that the simplest possibility is probably right. I know that Daiv has mentioned a list of plants the one of these large growers, Altmans has. I guess what I'm saying is that I think we sometimes are chasing rare species and subspecies instead of more common species. The simplest answer is usually the right one.

Andy
Mike

Post by Mike »

Andy,
I agree with you on that idea. I have found some, howver, that are perhaps slightly less common at the 99cent store - not Altman's at least.
On the mammillarias, the rhodantha seems likely on the other post. I actually have one already, and Home Depot has lots of them, but this one is not from there and the spination is softer, less thick than any of them which is why I asked.

As to the one posted above, it is much different (for example only 2 centrals, and the flower seems different). - I still lean to hahniana bravoae on the first and haageana on the second, both of which are fairly common.

Mike