I have no idea what this is..

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
Wildfyre

I have no idea what this is..

Post by Wildfyre »

I was given this cactus (along with another huge succulent) a couple days ago. I have no idea what it is. I know it appears to be in desperate need of TLC though... the top two "branches" are turning brown and withering and the previous owner told me her house was too cold and dark and the plants haven't seemed happy.

It has 5 lobes and about 8 spines per cluster

The other plant has some damage-
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

The first is your old stand by "Cereus peruvianus"

Learn more about that here: http://www.cactiguide.com/article/?article=article3.php

The second is a Euphorbia. Someone will know the species, I'm sure.

Anyway the plants definately look like they need more light. It wouldn't hurt to give them a larger pot too. You could just as well cut those top two pieces off your Cereus and start them as new plants. They are all streatched out because of lack of light. You can't fix that, but you could start over.

Be sure to use a well-drained soil if you repot here is more info on that: http://www.cactiguide.com/growcacti/

Also be sure to allow the soil to dry between waterings.

If you do this, you will find the plants to be quite impervious to damage otherwise. These specimens are very popular because they are so easy to grow.

Daiv
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Wildfyre

Post by Wildfyre »

Hi Daiv,
Thank you so much! I've asked at numerous gardening forums and no one had a clue what the Cactus was. I'm glad I found this site!
M.mestre

Post by M.mestre »

hello wildfyre

daiv it´s right,the lack of light makes that weakness in the cereus

Normally it´s a strong plant

Change it to a lighter situation and it will smile, :lol: :lol:

The two top pieces will root easily ,in a short period ,you have two plants for you or a present for someone else

I can´t help you in the id of the euphorbia,but me be you´ll find out with this link
http://www.euphorbia.de/indexe.htm

If you decide to cut the damage parts in the euphorbia ,remember to use gloves ,most plants are toxic

Good luck with your new plants

Miguel
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi,

I can't tell if the Euphorbia has 3 sides or not. Iff it does, it is probably E. trigona.

Mike
Wildfyre

Post by Wildfyre »

Eh.. I take that back... I just looked and the bottom has 4 sides.
Wildfyre

Post by Wildfyre »

Ok, I'm entirely confused now. I tried looking at numerous sites and there are just too many Euphorbia! Too bad there isn't a site that divides them by numbers of spines, lobes, etc.

I know it has 4 lobes, 2 spines.
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Looks as though it could be Euphorbia canariensis, but the stems have become a little etoliated to be absolutely sure.

John
Wildfyre

Post by Wildfyre »

It looks like thats the best possibility. The pictures I found via Google were promising. I suppose the only thing I can do now is give it a better environment and see how it grows.
Thanks so much for the advice everyone!