Time Lapse Photography

A place to post thoughts, errors, praise, or other comments about CactiGuide.com
daiv
Site Admin

Time Lapse Photography

Post by daiv »

This is my latest addition to CactiGuide.com. I actually got the idea from Joe of ecology.org to make a moving gif out of images of an opening flower. My first attempt is visable at http://www.cactiguide.com/cactus/?genus ... =anguliger For those of you on dial up connections, you will have to give it some time to load all the images before it starts moving.

I'm woking on one for E. oxypetalum that will be a lot better because I've got more frames.
Mike A

Post by Mike A »

I can try something like this, but I have no tripod for the camera so it will probably look very bad.
daiv
Site Admin

Makeshift tripod

Post by daiv »

I actually don't own a tripod either. I used a step ladder propped up on bricks and shoes to get the right height and angle. I drew an outline around the camera with a marker just in case I bumped it. I only wish I had taken more frames.

My Epiphyllum oxypetalum bloomed for the first time last night and I took a lot of frames on that one. (every 10 mins vs ever hour) I hope to make the gif tonight, but I've got to water the orchids and might run out of time. Oh yeah, I also used a flood light to get a better view on this one too.

I'll post the link as soon as I load it up.
daiv
Site Admin

E oxypetalum animation is on-line!

Post by daiv »

Ok, here is my second attempt at time lapse photography. I made a point to take more frames this time. I am very pleased with how it turned out. I had to shrink it to 400pixels because of the size, but I didn't want to reduce quality any further. Worth waiting for, I think. Here is the link, enjoy!

http://www.cactiguide.com/cactus/?genus ... oxypetalum
Mike A

Post by Mike A »

I think you can make it a bit faster, more frames per second.