Just an idea

A place to post thoughts, errors, praise, or other comments about CactiGuide.com
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

That's unlikely, in my case at least Dominique. I was born during the war, and don't ask which war? If I was a racehorse, they would have shot me years ago.

Thanks for having a sense of humour and making me feel a little better anyway.

John :lol:
Dominique

Post by Dominique »

Well, I'm extremely happy that you are not a race horse ! OK, I'm not going to ask which war... I'm probably just a little younger than you are since I was born just a few years after the end of the war. And don't ask me which one :wink:
Dominique
DieTer-Xz

Post by DieTer-Xz »

Lol, compared to you all, I'm just an little pup :D, I'm only 15. People look at me in a strange way on a cactus show... Some lady even asked me (I needed transport so I asked my mom) if I was carrying plants for my mother :P. It's quite the unusual hobby for a young person...
Dominique

Post by Dominique »

Hi, DieTer-Xz, congratulations ! Thanks to you, average age is dropping on the forum :wink: John, I'm sure it makes you feel much younger all of a sudden...
Well, on my favorite French forum, we have quite a lot of pretty young people, too.
Dominique
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Funny direction this post went in. But knowing this group, I'm not surprised. :P

DieTer is right about it being unusual for youngsters to be into cacti. In my local OCCSS club, maybe 1 or 2 percent are under 30 and maybe 10% under 40. Unless they are just old-looking for their age. 8-[

I hope that video games and cell phones don't continue to tear young folks away from hobbies like this. There is more to life that defeating "Captain Zurg"!
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

Dominique and John, your making reference to the Vietnam war aren't ya :lol:

I'll say that I've pasted the half century mark and leave it at that.
Bill

If it sticks ya or pokes ya, I like it
DieTer-Xz

Post by DieTer-Xz »

I play videogames too, there's nothing wrong with that, but too much is too much, videogames are very addictive, I too have had problems in the past with this. It kills your social contact with your family and friends, and this is what is most important in life.
Now I'm into arthropods and reptiles, carnivorous plants en succulents, and this hobby has it's own reward, and, though I must say it is addictive too, doesn't ruin your life; and you help keeping species in existence.

Some pictures of my other hobbies (pictures have been made by a friend of mine):

Dicronorrhina conradsi

Argiope bruennichi

Eudicella schultzeorum

Sarracenia psittacina

Unidentified millipede (identifying millipedes is even more difficult than identifying some cacti!)

Dionaea muscipula

Eudicella smithi bertherandi

Anolis carolinensis

Solifugid, little is known about these creatures, and almost everything that is told about this little critters is wrong.
It is not possible to identify solifugids... These things aren't spiders! There hasn't been any breeding with solifugids.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Ok everyone, the picture contest is under way! Go check it out!

http://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=14

Daiv
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
mavaz

Post by mavaz »

Hi Di Tier:

Wow. Nice pictures. As an Entomologist I?am also interested in arthropods.
Where do you get the milipede and the solifugid?

Thanks for share your pictures.
Last edited by mavaz on Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
DieTer-Xz

Post by DieTer-Xz »

The millipede I just bought in a pet shop, it's a very beautiful male. Although I've got no idea of any real name, it's probably in the Juliformia part.

I got the solifugid from a friend who had bought it at a pet shop too. I think they shouldn't sell solifugids though, there have been almost no breeding in captivity, so we're just robbing nature for nothing.
Though, like you probably now, solifugids don't live much longer than a year (in captivity, that is), it was a feisty little creature.

The prices for both were about 20 euros.
Dominique

Post by Dominique »

These are great photos but as far as I am concerned I'm not a big fanatic of all that looks like spiders. I have a few interesting insects in my backyard and I am very found of dragon flies (I think it's the correct name in English ; in French : libellules). I have to rescue them when they get trapped in the veranda.
I forgot the name of this big black insect but DieTer-Xz will probably know
And there are also some beautiful birds that I feed at winter time...
Dominique
Turtleman

Post by Turtleman »

WoW.. now you guys are just giving me the buggie herbbie jebbies... Yer startin to freak me out here

:lol:
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Yes Dominique, Dragonflies is the correct word, although it can be one word dragonflies or two dragon flies. The usual anomalies that litter the English language. That is why I am not very good at other languages. I am still trying to get my head around English.

John
Dominique

Post by Dominique »

Thank you, John.
And this one is for you Turtleman
Dominique
Turtleman

Post by Turtleman »

LMAO..... :wink: