Opuntia as fodder- a worldwide study

Created by popular request. Share what you know about man's past and present use of cacti.
mjazz

Opuntia as fodder- a worldwide study

Post by mjazz »

This a great web site: http://www.fao.org/DOCREP/005/Y2808E/y2 ... m#Contents
It has sections on using the prickly pear as forage in Brazil, Mexico, the US, etc. As you can tell by the table of contents, it's a comprehensive view of the subject that covers quite a bit of territory.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Wow, that is detailed for sure. I heard of a guy in Texas that supposedly worked really hard breeding a spine/glochid free Opuntia and tried to make a go of it some 50-60 years ago, but it was just too different and it never caught on. Don't know if that is true or not...
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
mjazz

Post by mjazz »

Phantasia Cactus Gardens in Twin Falls, Idaho, has a spineless variety available in their 2007 price catalog. It's called O. fraglis var denudata. :)
TimN

Post by TimN »

The book Cacti: Biology and Uses has a couple of chapters devoted to wild and domesticated use of platyopuntias as feed/forage.

Interesting stuff!

Tim
hegar

Post by hegar »

I do have a huge, large-padded Opuntia sp. - most likely a hybrid - that is spineless and has large, beautiful flowers too. I had to transplant it, because it tended to fall over and be in the way because of the enormous top weight.

Harald