Bolivicereus Cristata - out of shape?

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
Evelyne

Bolivicereus Cristata - out of shape?

Post by Evelyne »

Hi All
My Mom has given me a "Bolivicereus Cristata" as a present - a real wonderful cacti! In the World Wide Web I have found one single picture but no growing help. I have this cacti since one year and meanwhile it looks rather like a "Bolivicereus Samaipatanus" than a "Cristata".
In Switzerland we say...somebody has a green thumb or he hasn't...I haven't, :oops: but would really like to keep this beautiful plant alive. Can anyone tell me how to treat it right and well.
Thanks for your help
:?
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Hi Evelyne,
The Genus Bolivicereus has been dropped most recently and replaced with Cliestocactus. You might find more info using that name when you search. Anyway here is the growing info from Desert-Tropicals on that particular plant. Note: these are the recomendations for growing them in Phoenix, AZ. Don't know where you are so you might have it quite different...

Recommended Temperature Zone:
USDA: 9b-10
Frost Tolerance: Hardy to 25° F (-3°C)
Minimum Avg. Temperature: 50°F (10°C)
Heat Tolerance: Avoid reflected light, they do better with some afternoon shade
Sun Exposure: Full sun to light shade
Growth Habits: Succulent, grow in group of trailing or erect slender columns, 3 to 5 feet long (0.9 to 1.5 m), one to 2 inches in diameter (2.5-5 cm); 14 to 17 ribs; 13-40 stiff golden spines.
Watering Needs: Water generously during the summer, less in winter
Propagation: Easy to propagate from cuttings or seeds
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti