2 more mammillarias

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
Mike

2 more mammillarias

Post by Mike »

Hi,

Any idea on any of these. The first is an Altmans, but just marked species, and I could not find it on their site.

The second is from a nursery, so it could be anything. For reference the tallest one is about 2 inches tall and probably3/4 inch in diameter, so they are all very slender. Was told the flower is cream and often has a pinkish center stripe or
blush.

Thanks for all your help.

Mike
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

OK Mike, I think the top one is might be M. melanocentra subsp linaresensis (but this species seems to have wooly arioles)

OR

M. magnimamma (but this species doesn't have brown spines)

OR

M. compressa (but again no brown spines here)

OR

M. amajacensis (but spines are lighter and areoles woooly on this one)

OR

M. petrophila subsp petrophila (but spines are not as thick, axils not as wooly and areoles are wooly -spines are the right color)

Lastly there is a picture in the "Variations of Merit" section of the Mamm. book of a possible candidate called Mammillaria mexicensis, but this one doesn't have as thick of spines or as wooly axils. It does have large pink/white flowers that would be a dead give-away.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

New Year resolution for Mike.

Don't buy any more Mammillarias without labels

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

John
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Now that's funny! :D
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Mike

Post by Mike »

That is pretty funny. BUt then I wouldn't be able to post them for you guys to try to figure out. :) Actually, yesterday I tried a new approach, - I took the picture and will try to ID it before I decide to buy it.

I am pretty sure the top one is wagneriana - I had looked at Cac. Dic. and then Willy on Mamm.net, who seems to know his mammillarias, said so as well.

The other is actually harder. The seller first said voburnensis, which it isn't and then said yacensis, which I had suggested instead. But Willy said M mazatlanensis, and its description is accurate unlike the others. I must say the ones listed in Pilbeams book as being part of the Series ancistracanthae, microcarpa group seem very hard to distinguish for me.

Best wishes for a happy new year.

Mike
M.mestre

Post by M.mestre »

You must wait until it´ll bloom :P :P :P :P
Mike

Post by Mike »

I don't even know if that works. I haven't gone back to look but my recolleciton is that all in that group have pinkish flowers.
ondy

Post by ondy »

I will go with a melanocentra on the first one but I guess it could be others possible Mamms too. As far as the second I'm thinking it's a M. fraileana.

Andy