Euphorbia species???

If you have a succulent plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
Mike

Euphorbia species???

Post by Mike »

Hi,

Does anyone know the species - I assume it is a Euphorbia.

Thanks Mike
Dominique

Post by Dominique »

For me, it looks like euphorbia horrida, a very variable plant.
Dominique
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Dominique is usually spot on with her ID's, but we will have to agree to disagree on this one. I will go for Euphorbia ferox.

John
Buck Hemenway

Post by Buck Hemenway »

Mike,

This is a confusing plant. Take a look at Desert Tropicals, E. enopla and E. ferox. They list them as separate species but both have the same synonym. I've have a plant named E. ferox in the ground for 6 years, but have had several others pass through my hands as E. enopla since.

I like the E. ferox name, but think that most growers in California would call it E. enopla.
Buck Hemenway

Post by Guest »

Hi everyone,

Well you would think with all the advances in genetics and breeding, they would have plants that have the sense to have their name on them.

I like the ferox name best, althought I also wonder if it could be aggregata. Take a look at the euphorbia.de website. What is hard is that mine is pretty smooth, and doesnt have much in the way of traverse furrows.

Here is another one, which I think I concluded was enopla, although some thought fimbriata. The latter does not have spines however, as mine does.

Mike