IDs, Please. Part 2

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
Bruce

IDs, Please. Part 2

Post by Bruce »

Okay, I'm 100% semi-positive that the first plant is Gymnocalycium friedrichii or mihanovichii or mihanovichii v. friedrichii or maybe something else entirely... :)

The second one may or may not be a variant of the first one. It's much plumper and has much lighter markings. I don't know where variations within a species leave off and recognition of a different species begins...

I found them sitting side by side in one of those eggcrate-type displays in the local garden center. They are about 1.5" in diameter, BTW.

Can anyone give me a positive ID?

Thanks~
Windy
Every day, after supper, Granny walks two miles. We haven't seen her in years.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi,

You mighgt also throw G. damsii (sometimes called anitsii) in the group. Here is a link to an article on the mihonovichii issue I found. http://www.lapshin.org/cultivar/N25/gymn-e.htmt

Mike
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

Mike, thanks for the link. I didn't know that they're part of a 'complex' that may (or may not) also include G. stenopleurum! :roll: And all I wanted was a simple name to put on the plant label.:? I guess I'll call 'em both 'friedrichii' - at least until they flower.

Windy
Every day, after supper, Granny walks two miles. We haven't seen her in years.