soil type for epipyllum aguliger

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
logosdad

soil type for epipyllum aguliger

Post by logosdad »

What soil type should i use with this plant?
Also does it sunburn? My grandmother has one that has never flowered but has sent out a ton of aerial
roots. what causes it to do that? any help would be appreciated.
thank you
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Hi and welcome to the forum. I noticed that you are member number 300! (Sorry I don't have any prizes for that :wink: )

Anyway, you can check out the "Growing Cacti" page here: http://www.cactiguide.com/growcacti/

Just follow the ingredients under Jungle Cacti.

Note: I have recently repotted mine using coir instead of peat. I want to see which works better. I was not happy with peat in my desert cacti mix, but I had fantastic results with all my jungle cacti. You can see lots of them by clicking on the site under Epiphyllum, Selenicereus, Rhpsalis, Lepismium, etc. So if you can't get coir, then peat should do the trick. I don't think many people use the Orchid bark in their mixes, but I found it to be an excellent choice. I recently started mixing in a little bone meal per recomendation from a friend, but again it is too soon for me to say how it helped or not.

As for blooming, you've got to give these guys a little tough love. Put them in direct sun until about 1:00 PM in the late summer and you will get blooms. The plant it self will not look so good any more. It will turn reddish-yellowish and probably get spots on it, but you've got to do it. Be careful not to give it full sun into the afternoon or it will burn the plant and then it will be permanently scared.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti