Im new to it all and need some help

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
WallOfShadows

Im new to it all and need some help

Post by WallOfShadows »

Hey everyone,

Ive liked Cacti since I was a kid and decided to try out my green thumb and grow a few. But, I already semi screwed it up and want a bit of clarification.

im using small clay pots for germination, 6 in total (one seed in each pot.) I did a search online for a simple growing tek and used one where you create a mini-green house in a tupperware container. The problem is, when I went home the other day, I found the soil to be overly saturated instead of just moist. I drained the access water and let the soil dry out a little bit before placing them back in the mini-green house.

My question to you is, if i screw the germination up in the above mentioned way, are my seeds going to germinate, or do I have to start over?

By the way, the cacti are desert cacti.
Tony

Post by Tony »

If they havent germinated yet, they cant be to wet. I wouldnt worry bout it, until they germinate, then you dont want the soil to be soaking wet, just slightly moist
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Well don't worry too much. High humidity is essential to get most (all) seedlings to germinate. It is after they germinate that you have to be more careful -more so as they grow. Of course if it is too wet, that is not a good thing, but you also don't want them drying out either.

Now I have yet to prove myself with seed growing, so you are bound to get more helpful info than this, but I figured I could offer you some relief for now... :)
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
WallOfShadows

Post by WallOfShadows »

Thanks to both of you for the speedy reply! Its good to know that i havent completely messed this up just yet :P

I dont know if it matters or not, but Im growing Lophophora williamsii(x2) and Trichocereus peruvianus.(x4)

I have a feeling that I will be using this forum alot in the future as these little guys progress.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Did you see this recent post by our resident Lophophora expert?

http://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7087
WallOfShadows

Post by WallOfShadows »

daiv wrote:Did you see this recent post by our resident Lophophora expert?

http://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7087
Ya, I was just taking a look at those and they're amazing. I hope I can get growth like that!
Tony

Post by Tony »

If you can, shoot us some pics of them as they progress. :)
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
WallOfShadows

Post by WallOfShadows »

Tony wrote:If you can, shoot us some pics of them as they progress. :)
I definately will! At least when there is something to see. Right now, they're just pots of dirt :P
lordarutha

Post by lordarutha »

I tried some loph seedlings in a heated propagator, they took the best part of two weeks to start showing and then damping off fungus killed them. If you see seedlings and then they suddenly disapear you'll now know why!
Paul.
WallOfShadows

Post by WallOfShadows »

Thanks for the heads up, but is there anything I can do to preemptively strike at fungus? A fungicide or something?
The power of acurate observation is often referred to as cynicism, by those that do not possess it. -G.B Shaw
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Yes, microwave the soil before sowing.
peterb

Post by peterb »

Hi- You can also remove the seed pots from the close, humid environment about 3-5 days after germination. I've never had any probs growing Lophophora from seed, they germinate very quickly from fresh seed and grow well, as long as they have air circulation and are kept just moist, not too wet.

have fun!

peterb
Zone 9
WallOfShadows

Post by WallOfShadows »

Thanks for the tip, but how do you know for sure the seeds have germinated? What signs should I be looking for? Little green bulb(s)? Buds of some kind?

As I said, im completely new to growing cacti, so forgive my ignorant questions.

As for the fungus issue, is there a fungicide that can be used if the seedling gets infected? (its a little late to microwave the pot in my case)
The power of acurate observation is often referred to as cynicism, by those that do not possess it. -G.B Shaw
peterb

Post by peterb »

new Lophophora seedlings are small green blobs, quite visible on the surface of the soil. Not sure about fungicide as I've never used it, but others here may have suggestions.

peterb
Zone 9
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Take a look through some of the posts under this heading "Grown From Seed" and you can see lots of examples of cacti seedlings. They aren't all that different from each other at that stage.