New Greenhouse

Do-it-yourself projects such as greenhouse or shadehouse builds and related topics.
iann

Post by iann »

is there ever enough sun in Bristol for ariocarpi?
Never. But Weston super Mare is renowned as a seaside resort with wall to wall sunshine ;)

Tell her indoors that the bigger the greenhouse, the less likely it is anything with spines will ever be inside the house again :P

I have already felled this tree which I really liked, because it shaded my greenhouse nearly all morning.

I have also been steadily topping down a big conifer which only shades in the winter. I don't like that tree and will be cutting it to the ground this year.

This Cherry will be staying even though it shades the whole garden late on summer evenings. I had to keep one, they are just too beautiful.
--ian
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Ian, those look like Italian Cypress in the background. Might that be the conifer you are contending with? We had tons of those in CA and they were great when smaller, but man did they get scruffy when bigger and lots and lots of dead needles inside.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
iann

Post by iann »

I don't know about Italian, but definitely scruffy Cypress. They aren't good in this climate, they fall open in heavy rain or wet snow and never quite recover. And you can't chop out the bad bits because you just get a hole that never closes. Gotta go!
--ian
globetrottersara

Post by globetrottersara »

yep, Italian Cypress, that is... pro & cons included. There are a bunch of those here in Tuscany. The big ones are only great in the open country, otherwise they can be really "annoying", so to say... ;) Unless you keep 'em bonsai-like, haha...
"Ya know, life could be a lot worse, Sara. I could be driving a minivan." - JJ (horseman)