Aloe

If you have a succulent plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
Bill O.

Aloe

Post by Bill O. »

Does anybody know what type of aloe this is?

Bill
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi Bill,

Like I said in your other post. I don't think it is an Aloe. It is an Haworthia. I think it is Haworthia herbacea or one of its varieties or cultivars. It is not always easy to tell from a photograph, but that is what it looks like to me.

John
Buck Hemenway

Post by Buck Hemenway »

Bill,

There are a bunch of cross-bred aloes, haworthias and inbetweens that look similar. I think this one may be a cross using Aloe haworthioides (like that name?) and another such as A. humilis. Or it could be a haworthia. The bloom will tell you.

I have a small cross that is called Aloe Pepe. Its close to yours but the leaves are more decumbent. Try not to get too stressed over the names of these hybrids, they are there for you to enjoy them.

Buck
Buck Hemenway
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi Buck,

Yes I thought of Aloe cv 'Pepe' to begin with, but the plant looks to have offsets and Pepe is a very slow grower. If my memory serves me it is a hybrid of Aloe descoingsii x haworthioides.

Bill's plant is one of those where you could put several different names into the hat and it would be difficult to discount any of them.

John
Bill O.

Post by Bill O. »

After careful inspection it really looks like the Pepe:

http://www.desert-tropicals.com/Plants/ ... _Pepe.html
Bill
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi Bill,

I would tell them it is an Haworthia cultivar although I still lean towards Haworthia herbacea.

To try to give you a little more information about the Haworthia genus, I would say that they hybridise very readily and not only among themselves but also with Aloes and Gasterias. Hence unless you know that the plant is from a reliable source, it is possible it could be a hybrid cross. There is nothing wrong with that at all. Some of the most beautiful Haworthias and Aloes are hybrids, but it does make it difficult to do a positive ID.

Hope this helps a little.

John
Buck Hemenway

Post by Buck Hemenway »

Bill,

I tend to agree with John. The picture of the Aloe Pepe shows it ramifying tightly from the originial rosette, the more open growing habit of your plant indicates something else. Frankily all of these that i have show exactly the same habit. Thought you'd like to see one of the obvious parents of your plant, A. haworthioides as well.

Aloe Pepe

Aloe Haworthioides

Buck Hemenway
Bill O.

Post by Bill O. »

I saw a similar plant at the store today and it was labeled Aloe haworthioides. All I can say is that it looked idenitical and that's what it was labeled. Could be a different plant and could be mis-labeled.
Bill
Buck Hemenway

Post by Buck Hemenway »

Bill,

The second plant pictured is A. haworthioides. Which do you mean?

Buck
Buck Hemenway
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Buck,

Nice plants Buck. By the way when are we going to hear from your better half, or does your good lady let you do all the the talking. Lucky Guy.
:lol:

"Ok, dear, I'm coming, just talking to the US on the Cactus For- - - - Ouch."

Cheers,
John