sprouts on Plains Prickly Pear...1st post

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
comike

sprouts on Plains Prickly Pear...1st post

Post by comike »

Hello everyone, its my first post!

I have really gotten hooked on cacti in the last several years. Originally -I only had cactus I'd found outside here in Colorado & made into indoor plants. These include 2 Cholla trees, Beavertail (or Golden) Prickly Pear, Englemann Prickly Pear, Plains Prickly Pear, and one crawling type I cant identify.

My luck has been very good & they all look great.
I try to watch what they respond to.

HERES MY QUESTION about Plains Prickly Pear:What conditions are most likely to make a PPP develop new sprouts? (shade, sun, watered by spraying the pads, watered traditionally, flood or drought, pears facing any certain direction, etc)

Instead of fewer, 'fat' pears I would like to see more new sprouts. If the pears are 'fat', and you taper off watering, will that trigger it sending out sprouts?

Any general growing tips are appreciated.

take care--Mike
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Mike,
I think the best thing would be to mimic their native habitat. If you grow them outside, I think you will find them sprouting quite nicely and not becomming overgrown. I think that "spoiling" them by having them inside might be why they're healthy but lazy about putting on new pads. I suspect they aren't flowering either if they aren't putting on pads.

My suggestion would be create a native cacti outdoor garden and fill your house with all those cacti that won't survive the winter there. :P

Daiv
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
comike

a natural setting, but indoors!

Post by comike »

Hi Daiv,
The 2 sections of this cactus put out 7 new pads this summer, so I wont complain! :D
Without telling a long story, that recent growth was its only (new pad)growth in ~4 years of 'captivity'.

As a new member I keep reading that sand means large, 'play sand' but this one is in fine sand.
When it dries its as hard as concrete, but thats a natural setting. :shock:

No, it has not (yet!)flowered either. Its' sisters (outside here in Colorado) have lots of bright red apples on them now. Due to dogs and kids, there are some logistics I havent yet solved to putting them outside. thanks again, Mike Co
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

If you have a "root celler" or other cool basement that you can move them into, that might work just as well. Let them have a good rest. If it is cool enough, you won't have to worry about having much light.

Daiv
comike

Post by comike »

Daiv, thats a good idea about the basement. Yes its much cooler & not a 'play' area. It has windows that are in wells, so I could adjust the amount & time of day it gets sun.

I'll add rabbits to the list of worries if I put them outside. They chew on prickly pear pads.
Of course it doesnt kill the cactus but they end up looking very strange!

--thanks, Mike Co
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi Mike Co,

Sand is virtually useless as an addition to a growing medium. With cacti you are trying to keep the compost 'open' for good drainage. Normal sand as you say sets like concrete and clogs the compost. Grit, either chicken grit or aquarium gravel is a much better medium to mix with your cactus compost.

John
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

Hi Mike Co,

Takes John's advice and loosen up the soil and you'll see better results as far as growth. You also need to simulate dormancy (winter rest) for them to flower like plants in there natural habitat. A cooler area such as a basement should do the job as Daiv suggested.

I currently have a collection of around 24 species of Opuntia and Cylindropuntia. One of my favorites is C. imbricata v. imbricata which is a native of colorado. On my last vacation in Colorado I seen a Opuntia I'd like to add to my collection, it had small pads that were almost completely covered with short white needles.
Oh, my collection grows in my front yard where no kids or animals dare to venture :lol:

Bill
comike

roots question...

Post by comike »

Hi John,
I'm still trying to understand kind of a growing conditions contradiction: in nature the Plains Prickly Pears never seem to be growing in loose 'play' sand! Not here anyway. I've dug up a lot of them & thats why I put this (large) pp in the fine water retaining sand they live in (natural setting)

Have you (or anyone) heard that specifically Prickly Pear roots expand & contract w/ rains to serve this necessary air & drainage purpose?

Hey Bill, I wonder what that opuntia you liked so much was called? Seems like Kansas would have the same types of cactus as Colorado (at least our connected area east of the Rocky Mt's)
I have one I believe is Englemannii that sounds like you described. best regards, Mike Co
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi Mike,

Let me say straight away that I am not an expert on Opuntias, but a plant is a plant is a plant, so here goes.

First of all growing a plant in a pot or container is totally different to the plant growing in the wild. In semi desert areas many cacti have a very small depth of root, but many large surface roots to take up the available rainfall when it arrives. On Opuntias the heavy spines not only protect the plant from the fierce sun but also trap any moisture allowing that to also drip down to the roots.

Obviously in a pot the plant is reliant upon you to give it the best conditions you can. In nature the plant would not have moisture around its roots for long, so you must try to replicate that by having an open compost that water drains through quickly.

As regards the plant growing more pads, a good feed of fertiliser would probably help that process, but remember it is down to the species and size of Opuntia you have. Opuntia microdasys may grow a large number of pads in a season where some other species may only grow one or two. The larger and more mature the plant becomes, the more cladodes (pads) it will grow.

When there is rainfall after a drought, many cacti including Opuntias flower profusely. This is not by accident. It is the plants way of ensuring survival. The plant flowers quickly to produce seed while the ground is still moist, giving the seed the best possible chance of germination.

Nature has got to take its own course. A mist spray is almost always beneficial to the plant, a feed about once a month also helps, but to increase the amount or frequency of water in the hope of 'forcing' the plant could have disastrous effects.

Bit long-winded but I hope it helps.

John
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

Hey Bill, I wonder what that opuntia you liked so much was called? Seems like Kansas would have the same types of cactus as Colorado (at least our connected area east of the Rocky Mt's)
I have one I believe is Englemannii that sounds like you described. best regards, Mike Co
I'm pretty sure it wasn't O. engelmannii. I first spotted the opuntia growing in the vicinity of some chollas around the Canon City, Co area. The pads were about 2 1/2" to 3" across and almost perfectly round. The pads were also completely covered with white spines roughly 1/4" long.
If it wasn't for the pad shape and spine length I would almost believe it to be O. erinacea.

Bill
comike

Post by comike »

(Templegate) John, thanks. I do understand some of the problems with trying to make a wild cactus be happy :lol: sitting in a window. So as you recommended I mixed up some Schultz Cactus Plant Food for my P.P.P.
You used O. Microdasys as an example for fast growth & I have one that lives up to it.

As far as 'forcing', it to grow, I knew overwatering could be bad. In my experiences it would produce thin sprouts that would easily fall off.

Bill ihc6480 -I will look on-line for a picture of O. erinacea to get rough idea what it looks like. I think in the summertime I'll make a trip back to Pueblo because I saw some interesting Toothpick-like (Stetsonia Coryne) cactus there. take care, Mike Co
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

Heres a pic of O.erinacea (grizzly bear pricklypear) that I have in my collection.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y235/i ... cti002.jpg

Bill
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

comike wrote:
Bill ihc6480 -I will look on-line for a picture of O. erinacea to get rough idea what it looks like. I think in the summertime I'll make a trip back to Pueblo because I saw some interesting Toothpick-like (Stetsonia Coryne) cactus there.
That wouldn't be growing outside in Colorado. Do you mean at a nursery or something?

Daiv
comike

Post by comike »

Daiv, -no it wasnt actually a Toothpick, just 'Toothpick-like'. I saw it at Pueblo Motorsports Park in Pueblo.
Its an outdoor motorcross/off roading area with arroyos.

It was a long time ago & I wasnt interested in cactus, only impressed that it had such sturdy, strong spikes (reminded me of my indoor Toothpick cactus)

More recently I saw a cactus (outside) at the Denver Botanical Gardens that also reminded me of the one in Pueblo. Its common name was Cow Blinder & I think it was in the native section.

--Mike Co
comike

I repotted it...

Post by comike »

Back to the original subject, I went ahead and repotted my big Plains Prickly Pear.
What a painful experience :x

Based on what everyone here said, I used a mixture of roughly 80% river sand (small rocks, like play sand) and 20% compost. I added some crushed peanut shells, hoping they have an air gap effect like perlite.

Its MUCH looser soil now, in fact I had to use stakes to hold up a few sections. I expect it will tighten up when the roots start weaving thru this new soil.

THANKS! mike co