FINALLY! a place i can call my own!

Do-it-yourself projects such as greenhouse or shadehouse builds and related topics.
peter

Post by peter »

Looking good your new greenhouse, congrats!
Tony

Post by Tony »

Very nice! =D>
Im jealous!!!
I built mine out of "recycled materials"
So you can imagine what that looks like.
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
cactusplantqueen

Post by cactusplantqueen »

well, you see that bench? that was a mix of an old bed, our old shed door and the front grooved panel is a peice of decking, and to think my brother was going to build me a shed, hehe, i would rather have paid th £200 and had a sturdy structure! and i'm jelous of people who have bases on brick walls! they must be the elite then :P
MichaelCactus

Post by MichaelCactus »

Great new setup CPQ! Once you get it cleaned up and all sorted out, it will look $1m! I noticed you put your unrooted cuttings into strait sand, do they take well in it?
Completely Confused, yet Completely Addicted.
cactusplantqueen

thanks guys, stop it, i might get a complex 8) they root pretty well. i'm still wating for my bro to do the other bench.

heres some pics:

my ancient holiday cacti and a jade tree, sharing a blankey!

something under there, i forgot

tender osteospermum cuttings and penut cacti in a polystyrene tray to protect roots and fleece to protect leaves.

my echeverias being tucked in!

tender epiphyllum cacti in their bed!

the bottom half of a polystyrene box used for posting fish in has come other cacti in, graptoverias etc with fleece!

pink lamprenthus cuttings from my nans garden, hers is overgrown so i trimmed it and took the cuttings as payment!

repotting! lampranthus

sedum acre areum, from my nans rockery (that i built, not that i'm a show off!)
Lewis_cacti

Post by Lewis_cacti »

thats a nice setup you got there cpq!

i know its probably cold over there now, but why does everything have blankets on them? i would have thought that the greenhouse itself would take care of the cold alright...? how cold does it get? ...winter, hmmm thats a foreign thought right now, 40C tomorrow and 41C the next... :lol:
i can see plenty of cuttings in the making in your pics! :P
cactusplantqueen

well my heater doesnt work and the door doesnt fit properly so theres a gap, i live in Cornwall so i get a few light frosts, last year it snowed! i know cause i was snowed in school (when i used to go) i'm homeschooled now so i dont mind being snowed in :lol:

the ones in blankets are delicate/tender and my favourites so i dont want them to die, its horticulture fleece so its warm and cosy but they still get enough light. and its like a feather so they wont be crushed by it

and oh yes cuttings cuttings and more cuttings, my favourite plant in the world has to be seums, their too easy to take cuttings from :lol: :lol: i hope to open a nursery one day so i'm getting in as much practice as possible!
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

There's just no stopping you!
(i can relate ;) )

Looking good cpq!
lordarutha

Post by lordarutha »

I am so jealous cactusplantqueen, I had one of those pretend greenhouses that would blow away at the slightest whiff of wind but after a few serious cases of cacti sunburn last summer it now just holds a large rock to stop it blowing over. I have checked the rock a few times but no signs of growth! So today I bought a heated propagator. Probably not the wisest move as I am already running out of space and just adding more seedlings is going to make it worse.
What I wouldnt give for a greenhouse, when I was younger my Mum said 'you can do whatever you like in your own house' what she forgot to mention was that is only up until you move in with a partner! :(
mughal113

Post by mughal113 »

Good going cpq! I've seen that you'r using peat for rooting succulents. I'm doing the same and at least for me, it works magic...
-Mughal