please help identify this succulent that has finally bloomed

If you have a succulent plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
Tobin

please help identify this succulent that has finally bloomed

Post by Tobin »

Thanks,
Tobin

Mike

Post by Mike »

It looks like a Huernia to me, maybe H aspera or macrocarpa based on the few pics I have ready access to.

Mike
Tobin

Huernia macrocarpa

Post by Tobin »

Having now seen a photo of Huernia macrocarpa (I could not find a photo of aspera)that seems to be it. It is attracting flies just as the description says.

Thanks,

Tobin
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi Tobin,

The book I have on succulents has about 10 pics of huernias, and they all look awfully similar. Both the macrocarpa and aspera had the reddish brown flower, unlike some of the others (and some didn't show the flower) which is why I picked them.

Mike
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi Tobin,

Mike has come up with what is more than likely the correct answer. The Aslepidaceae, Stapeliads, call them what you will, are virtually impossible to ID, until they flower and even then it is not always easy. I would not quibble with Mike's ID at all.

What I did want to say is that if you are fond of the plant, try to take a cutting, by removing one of the outer 'fingers.' If it has a little root on it so much the better. Probably best to do this around late spring.

Why? I hear you cry. Well these type of succulents (Stapeliads) tend to rot at the base of the older 'fingers'. This is a natural occurrence in the plant and is nothing to do with poor cultivation methods. The older stems are almost always in the centre of the plant, hence take a cutting from the outside stems.

Hope this info. is of some help to you.

Cheers,
John
Dominique

Post by Dominique »

I just had a flower on something that was sold to me as huernia hislopii which is not. I found a great site to identify my plant (duvalia caespitosa). If this can be of any help, here is the link :
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/chris.moor ... index.html

Dominique
eduart

Post by eduart »

Yep, Chris Moore's website is a must for Asclepiads lovers... Great for ID, you also can find some info.
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi Dominique and Eduart,

That really is a good site for Asclepiads and I have bookmarked it for future reference.

Thanks,
John
Dominique

Post by Dominique »

I have another one in my bookmarks in case it could be of some help :
http://www.cactus-mall.com/stapeliad/picture9.html
Dominique
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Another excellent one Dominique. I only have a few Ascepiads, but it is certainly nice to look at the photographs on these sites.

John