See this and tell your opinion!!!

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
grhrch

See this and tell your opinion!!!

Post by grhrch »

Hi,

I have this cactus for near 6 months and it has been growing very well up to now. Now it has lurched on one side and it has very dark places on it. I think that something isn` t ok with but don` t know what :( .
Any ideas?

Thanks
Asen
iann

Post by iann »

Its dead :( The dark staining at the bottom suggests to me that it has rotted. Take it out of the soggy peat and see if there are any roots left, probably not. The base of the plant is probably also mushy.

If so, you might be able to save part of the plant by chopping off the green top portion and rooting it as a cutting. Probably not worth the effort on a small plant like this but it might have sentimental value or as a learning experience :)
--ian
hegar

Post by hegar »

Hello Asen,
Ian is correct with his statement. Most likely the plant was watered too much and developed a rot that is moving upward toward the apex. The only thing you can do is to cut off the yet healthy tip of the cactus, let it air dry for a week or so, maybe apply some rooting hormone and place the plant in fresh, sterilized growing medium that is coarse and does not contain any humus (organic matter). There is a chance though, that the infection has spread almost to the tip and that this remedy will not work.

Harald