peyote,peyotillo,medicen balls

Created by popular request. Share what you know about man's past and present use of cacti.
stephen.prout@uk

peyote,peyotillo,medicen balls

Post by stephen.prout@uk »

hello im trying to bild a collection of plants related to religous/medical and other uses i got so far lophophora wiliamsii, epithelantha micromeres var neomexicana,echinocactus grusonii fa cristata,aztekium ritteri,carnegiea gigantea,coryphantha compacta, astrophytum capricorne(carrot like vegtable sponge i love its name),obregonia denegrii,pelecyphora aselliformis,P.pseudopectimata, mammillaria(solisa)pectinata.echinopsis bridgesii theres a few more that i will remember i also found a web site with lots of names on and a lot of these plants are seedlings ill take a few pics but what do you the genral public think of my side collection so far.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

You mean you want to grow each of them? Sounds like a good plan to me!

It would be interesting to learn the story behind each. Then when you are sharing with non-cacti people they might get more interested as you explain it to them.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
stephen.prout@uk

these are the ones i have grown some from seed recently and others i found or got given i know theres a lot more that have been called peyote some that dont have any uses and some that do what i wanted which i didnt explane was because your web site is based in the us you may have people who know and have see cacti used as medicine and or in seromony i found a web site recently with 46-7 diffrent cacti which have medical uses i found it wile looking for peyotillo pelecyphora aselliformis, i found what intersted me as a boy the medicine ball or making medicine from ball cactus (mammillaria heyderii)a quote from the site and possably from a book http://entheogen.netfirms.com/articles/ ... Cacti.html any way i wanted any infomation that people know of or have personal experiense of if there are tarahumara people that collect cacti but that would be like me with the willow and reeds of the marshes nere me just plants i see in my day to day i did take pictures of some of the seedlings but my camara doesnt that very good close ups Image this is obregonia denegrii Image up in the top right of this picture is solisia pectiata and in the top left is pelecyphora pseudopectimata in the bottem right is matucana hugalensis but its not realative there is also gymnocalycium Image know this im proud of its a echinocactus grusonii crest that i grew from seed should be a year old by the end of november
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

Browsing sites today, i remebered seeing a few books...

#11173 first book on the page

#13555 4th book down the page
stephen.prout@uk

just bought myself strombocactus disciformis from holly gate cactus garden so another one down i think the web site was bits of one of mr s smith's books ill have to look in some of the second hand book shops around town. thanks for the info.
Buck Hemenway

Post by Buck Hemenway »

Don't forget Echinopsis pachanoi, it may be the most potent of all.
Buck Hemenway
phil_SK

Post by phil_SK »

Not sure if it falls within your remit but there's Eulychnia, made into rainsticks.
stephen.prout@uk

a bit of percusion to try and get my pachanoi seed to germinate,
bridgesii is know to have the same cemical compsition as pachanoi but what i what to know is what they were used for. :?:
Buck Hemenway

Post by Buck Hemenway »

Stephen

Try googling "San Pedro Cactus". There ought to be enough information there to keep you busy for a week. The nice forward in Anderson's The Cactus Family to do with Native American uses deals with this and Peyote in particular. Both used by shamen of ancient native cultures to rouse the spirits. As I understand it, if you cna get past the 8 hours or so of violent vomiting, you'll rouse plenty.
Buck Hemenway
stephen.prout@uk

this is the peyote bed so far some of the plants are less than a cople of cm except for the lophophora which must be about 20 years old.

there are a few more seedlings going in there but there too small to be transplanted yet
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

That is a very attractive way to grow your plants!
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
stephen.prout@uk

there sunk in there pots at the moment im not brave enough to plant them directly yet theres to meny pest around, ants, woodlice, pea bugs ect.
when some of the seedlings get bigger ill plant them in plus ive found a echinocactus grusonii in the calymmanthium seedlings so ill swap it for the crested one in the picture have a good look at that could be a prize winner in the future.
peterb

Post by peterb »

Hi- I highly recommend _Peyote: The Divine Cactus_ by Anderson (of The Cactus Family fame) for a great historical, ethnobotanical, sociological and chemistry lesson in L. williamsii.

A few other things: Trichocereus pachanoi is quite low per gram weight in mescaline, especially compared to more potent plants of L. williamsii. Whereas peyote can be eaten whole without any particularly special preparation, T. pachanoi undergoes a sort of complicated traditional preparation prior to being eaten. It is also usually combined with other plants, Ayahuasca (Banisteriopsis) in particular. Also, the vomiting seems to be caused by alkaloids other than mescaline present in psychoactive cacti; all of the psychoactive cacti contain a large array of different alkaloids, many of which have not yet been studied as to their health effects.

I'm not familiar with Epithelantha micromeris v. neomexicanus; it's a name I've never seen before. It was interesting to learn from Anderson's forward to The Cactus Family that the Tarahumara consider E. micromeris to have shamanic power, especially enabling a person to recognize sorcerers. That seems like an important skill. :lol:

Some of the Ariocarpi are considered the most dangerous and powerful of all, yet seem to have no psychoactive effects.

A fascinating website devoted entirely to the relationship between humans and psychoactive drugs is called Erowid. Here's a link to their cactus pages:

http://www.erowid.org/plants/cacti/cacti.shtml

Anecdotal horror story: a college friend of mine sliced up a fat, globular, gray plant, dried it, and ate a few of the slices a few days later. After a trip to the emergency room due to extreme burning in the throat, cramps, dizziness and so on it was discovered that the plant was Euphorbia obesa. Holy moly!

peterb
stephen.prout@uk

nasty my cousin when she was young rubbed some sort of euphorbia plant all over her and she was carted of the hospital,
when i was looking for information about the Epithelantha neomexicana as labled in the seed catalog i found it being noted on the net as a micromeris variation, who am i to argue,
There about 5mm across and about the same in hight two to three mounths old i could take a close up of them when i lock up my green house ill take a pic of my green house as well
P.s. the side im takin the pic on needs some panel painting and stuff but were planing to do it in this dry weather.
stephen.prout@uk

heres that epilanth close up me green house is under genral.