Eriosyce ss

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
iann

Post by iann »

how often can you harvest seeds from Eriosyce ss in cultivation ?
You just have to have the right friends ;)
--ian
parodias

Post by parodias »

iann wrote:
how often can you harvest seeds from Eriosyce ss in cultivation ?
You just have to have the right friends ;)
LOL .. I'm more than aware of that ... how do you think I got all those "unknown" P's ? :lol:
Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae.
iann

Post by iann »

Now I just have to find a friend with a flowering Copiapoa solaris ;) No wait, that happened already, I actually need two flowering at the same time and at a rough guess that hasn't happened in England for a good few years!
--ian
mughal113

Post by mughal113 »

Good luck with the seedlings!!
I'm still confused how MWing the seeds helped. The microwaves would heat any water (moisture) inside the seeds to temperatures where any living cells would die. At least thats what the theory says. And 30 seconds is a lot of time. My oven boils a cup of water in 60 seconds!!
-Mughal
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

mughal113 wrote:Good luck with the seedlings!!
I'm still confused how MWing the seeds helped. The microwaves would heat any water (moisture) inside the seeds to temperatures where any living cells would die. At least thats what the theory says. And 30 seconds is a lot of time. My oven boils a cup of water in 60 seconds!!
Yeah, I know what you're saying. But since there is proof that it works, I would suspect that the moisture content in the seeds is really low. So unlike a cup of water, it absorbs much less of the microwave energy -therefore able to withstand the longer duration. Much of the energy in the 30 seconds is lost I'm sure.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
parodias

Post by parodias »

Not at 500 watts power .. half a glass of water at 900 Watts during 10 seconds yields barely lukewarm water ..
parodias

Post by parodias »

daiv wrote:
Yeah, I know what you're saying. But since there is proof that it works, I would suspect that the moisture content in the seeds is really low. So unlike a cup of water, it absorbs much less of the microwave energy -therefore able to withstand the longer duration. Much of the energy in the 30 seconds is lost I'm sure.
exactly .. the mass of the seeds is really peanuts so to prevent overcharging the klystron tube of the oven I did put half a (large) cup of water in the oven together with the seeds .. after the last run the water was just "warm"
mughal113

Post by mughal113 »

Yeah, the size of the seeds might be the limiting factor here. Were they hot/warm when u took them out?
And my oven is a 1300 watt and it does boil a cup of water in 60 seconds. I think I should never try giving the seeds a ride in my oven or i may be left with nothing but cactus pop-corn :lol:
-Mughal
parodias

Post by parodias »

mughal113 wrote:Yeah, the size of the seeds might be the limiting factor here. Were they hot/warm when u took them out?
And my oven is a 1300 watt and it does boil a cup of water in 60 seconds. I think I should never try giving the seeds a ride in my oven or i may be left with nothing but cactus pop-corn :lol:
No the seeds did not feel warm at all neither were the glass containers they were in.

I see .. mine is a very old one max sustained power is 700Watts and adjustable down to I think 350W (+ defrost :) ) and so called "jet" mode (setable in slices of 30 seconds time) is 900 Watts .. Don't you have any power adjustments you can make ?
mughal113

Post by mughal113 »

Oh, in that case (which I suspected to be) heat must not be the stimulant. The microwaves must have triggered something else (if they did at all). Whatever it may be, the most important thing is that it worked! :thumbright: Do keep us updated.

My oven has many operating modes with a timer, but I don't know much about operating it. I always use it with maximum power, which is similar to your 'jet mode', spin the food for 60 seconds and take it out hot. I'm not much of a kitchen guy anyway :oops:
-Mughal
parodias

Post by parodias »

:lol: My kitchen skill just stretch as far as they are usefull for growing cacti so if you ever get invited for dinner make sure it is my wife that does the cooking !! :D
mughal113

Post by mughal113 »

hahahaa.. Men are all the same :D
-Mughal
iann

Post by iann »

No reason heat can't be the stimulant. Objects with only a little water still heat up in a microwave, just more slowly. You often don't notice it because objects with lots of water become hot so much faster. Or something sets on fire ;)
--ian