Blankenberge, Belgium

Share info and Pictures about gardens, parks, nurseries, and other locations with cacti.
Dominique

Blankenberge, Belgium

Post by Dominique »

Hello, everyone,
On Saturday, I went for the first time to the ELK (Europäische Länderkonferenz). It takes place every year in Belgium. I did not attend any of the conferences because I was too fascinated by the plants sale ! It was not easy to make pictures since it was crowded and not much space between the tables. I have a few to share with you. Also, Blankenberge is just a few miles from Brugge, an awsome city...
Lace is still a strong tradition in Brugge
Dominique
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Hey that's really neat! It's fun to get a peek at far away places. It looks like the environment is very similar to the cacti events here, but the setting is certainly different.

Daiv
anela

Post by anela »

the 3rd pic down is interesting-assuming its a graft involving "trained" Cleistocacti or something?

Anela
Dominique

Post by Dominique »

Sorry, Anela, but I just could not write down the name of the plant ! The place was so packed that it was even difficult to make pictures. If you are interested in crest forms, I have a friend in Belgium who has a beautiful collection :
http://picaillon.skynetblogs.be/
Dominique
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi Dominique,

Great pics, thanks for sharing, it is nice to know that the hobby is still thriving with lots of people wanting to view the plants.

PS: I did not picture you as old as that, but your lacework looks very nice. :wink:

Forgive my sense of humour.

Best wishes,
John
Dominique

Post by Dominique »

Hi, John !
I'm having a good laugh ! Actually, I'm closer to the age of the lady on the picture than I am of yours :wink: since I'm 54 ! Here is a picture of me made by a belgium friend on saturday. Sorry, I forgot my lace work...
Dominique
anela

Post by anela »

I like the link (although in French). Now I can see why so many men like cacti. :shock: :lol:
ondy

Post by ondy »

Ahhh cacti, the world wide phenomenon....We're everywhere.

Andy
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi all,

The third pic down is as Dominique says a 'cristate' plant. Almost definitely a Mammillaria. I have a plant almost identical Mammillaria geminispina, so that would be my guess. Thanks for the Link to the cristate site Dominique. You certainly know how to make a man feel inadequate. I missed the cowboy the first time round. Being from England I had no idea riding a horse could do that to you. :oops:

Cheers,
John
Dominique

Post by Dominique »

I promise you that my only intention was to show you the plants, not the cowboy :roll: But I have to say that I am laughing a lot reading your comments John and Anela's. My Belgium friend is certainly going to enjoy the success he got !
Dominique
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

Nice pics Dominique and I enjoyed the link also :D
Being from England I had no idea riding a horse could do that to you.
Riding horses never caused me that problem :roll:
Must be a bull rider :lol:

Dominique, watch out, theres a few awnry people on this site :-$

Bill
Dominique

Post by Dominique »

Hi, Bill ! Thanks for the warning but I'am not that shy and I really have a good time reading those comments. By the way, I'm glad for you that horse riding did not cause you any such big problem :wink:
Dominique
cactusbutt

Post by cactusbutt »

Hi Dominique,
I enjoyed the pictures its nice to see other places in the world and the great cacti :wink:

Bob
Dominique

Post by Dominique »

Thank you, Bob ! There will be another exhibition soon very close to where I live (south of Paris) by mid-october, in the park of a beautiful castle. It is not specialized in cactees but some cactees nurseries have a booth. It will certainly be easier to make pictures. I'll try to find more great cactees :wink:
Dominique
DieTer-Xz

Post by DieTer-Xz »

Hmm, Blankenberge is about 100 km away from here, so I'll go next year.