Lithop seeds

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
cactusbutt

Lithop seeds

Post by cactusbutt »

Im getting a mixed bag of 100 lithop seeds
Do I do these like cacti seed? or is some other method
better.
Thanks Bob
iann

Post by iann »

Lithops seeds are very easy to germinate. Sow them on the surface, then keep warm and moist, they should start sprouting in around a week. Good quality seed will germinate 80%-90% within a couple of weeks, occasionally very fresh seed may show some delayed germination. Germination is quicker at higher temperatures.

Provide strong light right from the start, certainly more than you would give a cactus seedling. Direct sun is OK but avoid midday summer sun and any sun when it is very hot. I keep them under lights and high humidity for a couple of months, but then they will need good ventilation and cool nights. I use a free-draining soil and keep it moist until the true leaves appear, then water regularly until winter.
--ian
cactusbutt

Post by cactusbutt »

Thanks Ian,thats great info.
How long till they get about a 1/2inch?
iann

Post by iann »

Depends on the species. I find the seed leaves inflate quite quickly in the propagator, the bigger species reaching 1/2" in just a couple of months, but they will take forever to gain more size. The first true leaves will probably come through slightly smaller and then inflate to just a little larger.

I think it makes sense to push seedlings a little for the first couple of years, even if it means they get a bit tall or stacky from time to time. They will hold on to the extra growth and you can always knock them into a better shape later.
--ian