If you were to start over, what would you do differently?

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Kipody

If you were to start over, what would you do differently?

Post by Kipody »

Imagine that you wake up one morning and discover that your collection was stolen overnight… or that an aggressive nematode killed all your cacti or that a small meteor hit your greenhouse 😊. Imagine you are forced to move to a different country and cant take your cacti with you…

These all sound like terrible scenarios but they also open a possibility to do things better or differently…

Since I might be experiencing one of the above options … I would be happy to hear what you would do differently if you were to start your collection from scratch all over again. Maybe I could learn from your ideas…
anttisepp

Re: If you were to start over, what would you do differently?

Post by anttisepp »

I'd begin to collect Blossfeldia though...
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

Kipody wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:20 am Imagine that you wake up one morning and discover that your collection was stolen overnight… or that an aggressive nematode killed all your cacti or that a small meteor hit your greenhouse 😊. Imagine you are forced to move to a different country and cant take your cacti with you…

These all sound like terrible scenarios but they also open a possibility to do things better or differently…

Since I might be experiencing one of the above options … I would be happy to hear what you would do differently if you were to start your collection from scratch all over again. Maybe I could learn from your ideas…
I'll send you a PM.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
MikeInOz

Post by MikeInOz »

I would sow aztekium, pelecyphora and lots of ariocarpus. As many as I could get. But it's never too late......
oneday

Post by oneday »

I wouldn't plant Kalanchoe in my outdoor garden, at least not the species that invade everything if there is anything else
7george

Post by 7george »

anttisepp wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:44 am I'd begin to collect Blossfeldia though...
Or Frailea's maybe... This is just on a theory. The passion takes over common sense. I had a chance to start over from 0 when I moved to Canada and now again am out of growing space and keeping inappropriate species.

Sometimes I have a thought to leave my collection outside to adapt during the winter and to see how many would survive next spring. 8)
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
westfork

Post by westfork »

I would build my berms using at least 80% river rock (1/4" - 1") in the soil mix instead of the 1/3 rock, 1/3 very coarse sand/ pea gravel, and 1/3 good topsoil I used back then. We have very cold winters and drainage needs to remain open even when soil is frozen deep.
Iowa / South Dakota border area. USDA zone 4b/5a Heat zone 6-7
AirWreck

Post by AirWreck »

I wouldn't have put my plants outdoors. I would have kept them indoors under gro-lights. Bringing them outdoors exposed them to rust fungus which has killed about half my collection. That was about 18years ago. The remaining half remain infected after all these years.