Echinopsis under grow lights and winter dormancy

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
NJGardenGuy

Echinopsis under grow lights and winter dormancy

Post by NJGardenGuy »

I have acquired a numer of Echinopsis recently, both hybrids and species. I will be growing them indoors under Grow lights initially until they can go outdoors for a few hours each day for some natural sunlight.

I also have a question regarding winter dormancy for these Echinopsis indoors - how long should the grow lights be on for them during the winter.

Thanks.
Steve Johnson

Re: Echinopsis under grow lights and winter dormancy

Post by Steve Johnson »

Although I don't use grow lights, it seems logical to approximate outdoor day lengths. For New Jersey, here are the day length hours split between the 1st and 2nd half of each month:

January -- 9/10 hrs.
February -- 10/11 hrs.
March -- 11/12 hrs.
April -- 13/14 hrs.
May -- 14/15 hrs.
June -- 15 hrs. (all month)
July -- 15/14 hrs.
August -- 14/13 hrs.
September -- 13/12 hrs.
October -- 12/11 hrs.
November -- 10 hrs. (all month)
December -- 10/9 hrs.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
jerrytheplater

Re: Echinopsis under grow lights and winter dormancy

Post by jerrytheplater »

Those plants of mine that stay indoors over the winter are under LED lights on for 16 hours each day. They can go outside here in Northern NJ (Passaic County) when temps are above 45 or so. I could put mine out today as it is almost 70 and sunny, but I'm just getting back from being away for a week and have lots of things to do. But, you have to be careful of sunburn on days like today, until they are hardened off. They stay out day and night when nights are above 50, say in mid April. Bring them in when it rains if they don't need water.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.