conophytum advice

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
TheUnwatered

conophytum advice

Post by TheUnwatered »

I bought a conophytum a couple of days ago, I previously have had no experience with this type of plant before but thought I'd give it a go, anyway I did some research, learnt not to water them through summer etc, (I'm in Australian summer and just about to go into autumn) anyway I did repot them into dry soil as the soil they were in was soaked, the new leaves have burst through the old ones, the old leaves are still quite fleshy (is that normal?) the new leaves look healthy, but the roots looked a bit brown and not the happiest. Am I right to think they probably should have been dormant and have burst the old leave prematurely from big box store watering? My idea was to leave them alone for quite awhile, until they showed signs of wanting water. I'm not even sure of the type of conophytum. I would love some advice on what I can do or general care.
keith

Re: conophytum advice

Post by keith »

Conophytums start growing in Autumn so I think your plant is OK to start growing now. You're right in Summer not much water and shadier location.
TheUnwatered

Re: conophytum advice

Post by TheUnwatered »

keith wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:28 pm Conophytums start growing in Autumn so I think your plant is OK to start growing now. You're right in Summer not much water and shadier location.
thanks for the reply. Yeah I will keep a close eye on them, they are a cool little plant. I'm happy to have them :mrgreen: