Watering newly planted cacti

Discuss hardy cacti grown outside all year.
Holmes

Watering newly planted cacti

Post by Holmes »

We're planting a mixed bunch of cacti around our yard here in East Mesa, near Apache Junction, Arizona.

I'd like to hear the views of some knowledgeable folk here about the watering of these when planted. There are already some cacti around our yard (saguaro, prickly pear, ocotillo and so on) and basically we never ever water these, they grow in the wild here and are well adapted to the low rainfall and heat.

But for newly planted small specimens, is there a basic water schedule to follow? The ground is actually damp under the surface just now, we had a ton of rain (from California) a few weeks ago and so it's easy to dig and very good for newly planted cacti.

The climate right now is very pleasant, mid 70s, no rain, calm, very nice indeed (Arizona valley weather is wonderful most of the time and only get brutally hot starting in June).
Tom in Tucson

Re: Watering newly planted cacti

Post by Tom in Tucson »

Unless you get near record heat, I'd wait until early Spring to get the roots established.
keith

Re: Watering newly planted cacti

Post by keith »

Arizona valley weather is wonderful most of the time and only get brutally hot starting in June)."

yep I used to live there five seasons they divide summer into two parts dry and wet . I wouldn't water them until spring