columnar identification

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
Lucy_V

columnar identification

Post by Lucy_V »

Hi, I have a columnar cactus that I cannot identify for some time. Guessing it might be one of the Pilosocereus species. Any help will be appreciated.
Attachments
columnar1.jpg
columnar1.jpg (99.47 KiB) Viewed 2714 times
columnar2.jpg
columnar2.jpg (123.09 KiB) Viewed 2714 times
anttisepp

Re: columnar identification

Post by anttisepp »

Reminds pachycladus
Lucy_V

Post by Lucy_V »

Thank you Anttisepp! it does remind of pachycladus, but at that age it should be already blue/bluish. Mine is as green as a cucumber.. Will keep growing it and observing if anything changes. I like the plant, name or no name :)
Tom in Tucson

Post by Tom in Tucson »

The easiest way to get an approximate name is to consider the most likely origin of the rearing of this cactus. If purchased from a retail store, your location will narrow the possibilities of getting the most likely name. Based on my admitted lack of knowledge of the currently grown species (or cultivars) in this somewhat confusing genus, and only casually accepting the ones I've seen with an ID tag almost a decade ago (when living on the coast), the names at that time (P. palmeri, and P. alensis) may still be a likely guess (IMHO) as to their frequency of getting my attention. HTH
Lucy_V

Post by Lucy_V »

Thank you for your suggestion, Tom! it was indeed bought from a retail nursery, no tag. Alensis is a possibility, I am considering gaumeri as well. Guess I need to wait some more and see how it grows and possibly blooms..
7george

Post by 7george »

Another possibility is Pilosocereus chrysacanthus, who's stems get greener sooner. Spines are golden and point down. Also it is a common mexican cactus.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
Lucy_V

Post by Lucy_V »

Another one to consider, Thank you 7george!