Grew this from an old seed packet labelled Opuntia strigil, does that ID look correct to you all?

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
TheORKINMan

Grew this from an old seed packet labelled Opuntia strigil, does that ID look correct to you all?

Post by TheORKINMan »

anttisepp

Re: Grew this from an old seed packet labelled Opuntia strigil, does that ID look correct to you all?

Post by anttisepp »

People who grow opuntias are undoubtedly heroes among us.
TheORKINMan

Re: Grew this from an old seed packet labelled Opuntia strigil, does that ID look correct to you all?

Post by TheORKINMan »

? I don't think I get this joke heh
gallomata22

Post by gallomata22 »

i know a guy who died after falling on a cactus of this variety
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Having glochids and sometimes barbed spines Opuntia's are probably some of the most "antisocial" cacti, hence Antticepp's joke. They also tend not to be grown much in countries where they cannot grow outdoors therefore take up too much greenhouse space as with tall Cerei.

To those of us outside of habitat Opuntia's are therefore hard to identify. However see:-

https://www.opuntiads.com/opuntia-strigil/

Pictures in link will enlarge if clicked on.
anttisepp

Post by anttisepp »

Have to add that most of opuntias have big difference between young and adult ones, so plant on the photo is juvenile form that has incipient adult features. Nice plant anyway.👍
TheORKINMan

Post by TheORKINMan »

Ahh I see! Thank you. It looks pretty close. I guess I’ll really find out when it gets big enough to flower and fruit.