Request for ID on some (hopefully) common cacti

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
somnomania

Request for ID on some (hopefully) common cacti

Post by somnomania »

Hello all. I've been doing an inventory of my succulents and cacti so I can finally tag them all properly and perhaps even establish some kind of schedule with watering, and I've only got a couple of cacti left that I'm not totally sure on. I've tried Google Lens, and Pl@ntNet, and I've gone through the "Before Posting: Have a quick look here first" thread (which helped immensely with several others). I don't think any of them are anything terribly rare; I bought them all at Walmart, but that of course means little to no identification beyond "cactus".

I have this one, which is sort of bluey-green with black (or maybe very dark red/brown) spines. Google Lens and Pl@ntNet both seemed fairly sure it's Polaskia chichipe, but I also found Stenocereus pruinosus, which seemed like a possibility. I've included a photo with flash on as well as one without.

Image Image

And I have these two, which I just today decided are probably the same species, just doing rather different things with their growth. They both have the weird band of lighter spines near the top. The tall skinny one was one that had a strawflower hot glued on when I bought it, which I carefully picked off; you can see it still has a small bald place, right above the edge of the pot. Every photo version I've tried in both places seems pretty sure it's Cleistocactus winteri. I've also found Haageocereus, as well as Cleistocactus icosagonus.

Thank you in advance for the help!
Nino_G

Re: Request for ID on some (hopefully) common cacti

Post by Nino_G »

Hello somnomania,
I think your guesses are correct. First one is almost certainly P. chichipe, and other C. winteri, but let's wait for anttisepp, he will have definite answers for you.
Best regards,
Nino
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

:D Agreed.
Spence :mrgreen:
somnomania

Post by somnomania »

Good to know, thank you! I would love a more concrete answer from anttisepp though. :D
anttisepp

Post by anttisepp »

Hello, thicker cactus on the second picture reminds Seticereus icosagonus but I don't sure other one is winteri.
Do you hold them in the sun? Are there holes in the bottom of polaskia*s pot?
somnomania

Post by somnomania »

anttisepp wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:34 pm Hello, thicker cactus on the second picture reminds Seticereus icosagonus but I don't sure other one is winteri.
Do you hold them in the sun? Are there holes in the bottom of polaskia*s pot?
They get a lot of light, both sun and grow light, and good drainage on everything. I water very lightly.
MikeInOz

Post by MikeInOz »

somnomania wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:36 pm I water very lightly.
Watering lightly is a big mistake. The plants will end up either too dry or too wet and the root ball will probably have in wet/dry patches throughout.
You should soak thoroughly then allow to dry almost completely before repeating.