New Smart Phones take better photos than my Cannon

Discuss cameras, settings, composition, or anything related to photography - cactus or other subjects.
C And D

New Smart Phones take better photos than my Cannon

Post by C And D »

Some folks were over this weekend taking photos with their new IPhones with the high grade camera option
And they are far better than my photos with my expensive Cannon
What gives??

Can I buy a cheap form of the high grade camera with out the phone?

These are without editing.
thumbnail1.jpg
thumbnail1.jpg (108.62 KiB) Viewed 11549 times
thumbnail2.jpg
thumbnail2.jpg (182.06 KiB) Viewed 11549 times
thumbnail3.jpg
thumbnail3.jpg (254.15 KiB) Viewed 11549 times
Check out our plant and seed lists
http://www.CandDplants.com

Craig and Denise Fry
7george

Re: New Smart Phones take better photos than my Cannon

Post by 7george »

Editing (as enhancing) is included in phone camera software.

Also, the phone is supposed to be always handy, nearby. And the old Cannon is like an extra luggage. A phone without a sim card maybe? Not sure about the current prices.

P.S. Smartphones are not good for birdwatching, for now.
DSC-6824-Edit-s.jpg
DSC-6824-Edit-s.jpg (81.87 KiB) Viewed 11429 times
Photo: Hank Tan. The image was lost from original post.
Last edited by 7george on Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
Tom in Tucson

Post by Tom in Tucson »

1st off, what resolution is your Canon?

I own a Sony DSLR with 24MP resolution. There are 2 types of iPhone 15 Pro which have the best built in cameras for the series. Both the iPhone 15 Pro, and the iPhone 15 Pro Max have 48 MP optical sensors. The main difference between the 2 is the advanced telephoto for the Max.

I own the the standard pro version for 2 reasons; it's smaller size, and lighter weight. I anticipate that the iPhone 16 will expound upon the Max type of technology.

When I want to guarantee the best looking images, I much prefer the handling, and control of my Sony.

As a clarification; the qual-pixel sensor actually combines every 4 pixels into 1 large quadpixel to improve light gathering ability. giving you an effective resolution of 12MP.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

It depends how you want to show your images. If you want prints the size of a house door then high megapixel cameras are the answer. If you only want to digitally project them or view on a computer screen them probably 8 megapixels is good enough since that's about the resolution of most computer screens. Digital projectors and slide show screens are much less.

The old saying "a chain is only as strong as its weakest link applies". If your computer screen only has a resolution of say 8 megapixels that's all you get even if your camera has 24 megapixels or more. Originally smartphones did not match cameras quality for web posting, particularly their lenses, but now are more than good enough. Once a camera of any type exceeds the resolution of the media you are reproducing the image on, other than being able to crop a picture more drastically and still have enough megapixels, then more megapixels are pointless.

However as they say "megapixels sell cameras" whether you need them or can use them or not in your photography. As George says, unlike film cameras smartphones and most digital cameras do the processing for you if you shoot JPEG's. If you choose to shoot RAW you have to do your own processing. In older cameras they used to soften the original images slightly to avoid moiré patterns and sharpening was later applied in camera when shooting JPEG's since not so many amateurs post processed or further sharpened their images.

How many megapixels was this camera image below? It was shot in RAW and sharpened in post processing in Photoshop Elements. However any other post processing software would do.

Turbinicarpus polaskii.jpg
Turbinicarpus polaskii.jpg (83.23 KiB) Viewed 9862 times

One thing that should be noted is some modern smartphones use a version of image stacking in camera to provide greater depth of field. Originally the amount of processing power in both cameras and smartphones was small so not much internal processing could be done therefore people post processed on more powerful computers. As processing chips gets smaller more will be embedded in cameras so they will then be automatically able to do what is often done in post processing now.

https://www.makeuseof.com/what-is-compu ... ach%20time.
Tom in Tucson

Post by Tom in Tucson »

You present some important fundamental concepts on the history of digital photography. The needs for each person are as varied as the variety of current choices.

As the old saying goes: "Your mileage may vary".