Is this a good deal ?

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Cacbro420

Is this a good deal ?

Post by Cacbro420 »

Howdy, I'm looking at pulling a trigger on an expensive cacti (for me) it's a big Copiapoa calderana f ritter. It has nice shape, a little over 3" wide and 7" high, has some dried flowers but no seed pods. Price is 200$ It seems like a good deal to me but I don't have any cacti friends to run it by. Thanks in advance, I spent a lot of time collecting trichs and I'm just now branching out into other cacti.

Forgot to mention I'm in the US
zpeckler

Re: Is this a good deal ?

Post by zpeckler »

Copiapoa prices are out of control thanks to its superstar status on Instagram. I don't know if I could spend $200 on a plant, but I have bought some seeds cinerea seeds from Mesa Garden that were a splurge as far as seeds go ($20 for 10). YMMV as far as value proposition for a plant you really, really want.

One additional note... Like many cactus species, Copiapoas are hugely impacted by poaching these days, and a bunch of them for sale on ebay, etsy, or direct on social media are poached. Where are you buying this plant from? Do you know if it's seed-grown or "wild collected" (AKA poached)? I would highly, highly discourage you from buying ANY poached cactus primarily because of the environmental destruction it causes, but also because poached plants are incredibly difficult to get to survive the experience of being ripped habitat and brought into cultivation. They can live for a few years before finally exhausting their energy stores and dying. Spending $200 on a poached plant will likely only see that money evaporate in a few years when the plant dies. Spending that money on a seed-grown plant will give you much better chances for success.

https://ethicalcactus.com/
Last edited by zpeckler on Sat Dec 09, 2023 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--------------------
Zac

Butte County, CA, USA
USDA Zone 9b
Mediterranean climate; hot, dry, sunny summers with rainy, moist, mild winters.
Cacbro420

Post by Cacbro420 »

I'm waiting on some cinera seeds from sucseed myself. This is definitely not a habit plant, and is from a reputable seller. I would never buy a poached plant or from someone that sells them. I appreciate you getting the word out though. I would love for my hypothetical kids to able see these plants in habitat long after I'm gone.
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

Cacbro420 wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 7:49 pm I'm waiting on some cinera seeds from sucseed myself. This is definitely not a habit plant, and is from a reputable seller. I would never buy a poached plant or from someone that sells them. I appreciate you getting the word out though. I would love for my hypothetical kids to able see these plants in habitat long after I'm gone.
I completely agree with Zac on all counts. Unless you have your heart set on a particular Copiapoa species you'd like to get as a grown plant, try this:

https://planetdesert.com/pages/search-r ... q=copiapoa

The selection is good, IMO prices aren't outrageously expensive compared to what you find on eBay, and Planet Desert is a reputable nursery.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
Vingames1

Post by Vingames1 »

Would have to see a picture to give you a definite answer. Also, if you really like the plant and think it is worth 200$ then get it. It sucks these new internet cactus hipsters and driving the prices high so they can deal cactus and not work anymore